Thread: Do you inject?

Default Do you inject?

Just got a new book on halibut and was skimming through it and saw a section about injecting your bait with herring oil. Just wondering if anyone actually goes to that trouble? If you have any knowledge on this and can share some insight with the rest of us it would be greatly appreciated
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Re: Do you inject?

Yes all the time.
    Herring oil by the gallon is only $35.
    Herring itself is not cheap.
    A little squirt refreshes old bait.
    And makes frozen bait much better.
    I buy the little procure squeeze bottles with a large needle glued into the cap.
    Fill it up and inject some in your herring. Works great.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the tip on the procure bottle with tip - does it seal up good? I don't want herring oil all over the place and have been thinking for something that would work good. Was looking towards a little oil pump can. Do you know where a guy can pick one up in A-town?

:-( I paid 40$ at BJ's for my gallon.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We inject herring oil into out baits all this time. Just like Kasilofchris stated, it definitely seems to make a difference. Just a note, it's best to inject the bait while holding it over the side of the boat as herring oil makes a real mess on the deck!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the procure bottle with tip - does it seal up good? I don't want herring oil all over the place and have been thinking for something that would work good. Was looking towards a little oil pump can. Do you know where a guy can pick one up in A-town?

:-( I paid 40$ at BJ's for my gallon.
    Herring oil I bought at Sportsmans.
    The oil bottle I bought at Trustworthy in Soldotna.
    They should have the Procure bottles anywhere procure products and halibut tackle are sold.
    B&J's,Sportsmans any sporting goods store really.
    Like frostbitten says do it over the side of the boat.
    Yes they do seal well just be sure not to loose the cap for the needle. It also works good for squirting on lures or jigs and any setup with the sponge material that will soak it up.
    Once filled they are much easier to use than dumping from the Gallon jug.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have never injected my baits because I don't see any reason to with the way I do things. As I've said before I use almost exclusively squid and/or octopus and utilize the open cell foam which holds whatever scent I am using at the time. If you inject your bait and in one strike it's gone then say bye-bye to the scent, too. Especially with herring which rips off your hook WAAAY too easily. With the closed cell foam it stays on your line forever and holds any scent or oil you might be using incredibly well.

BTW---Pro-Cure makes about a gazilllion different scents and oils, UV enhancers, etc., brine solutions, etc., etc. Check them out: http://www.pro-cure.com/products.html. You can buy them online if your favorite local tackle shop doesn't have them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks for the tip on the procure bottle with tip - does it seal up good?
    Bullellklr,

Here is one way to use the Pro-Cure bait scent injenction without getting it all over the boat. Buy a small bottle of the bait scent you want to use and just swap out the normal cap with the cap with the needle when you are fishing. Once done fishing, put the original cap back on the small bottle of bait scent. I buy the big bottles to refill the small botles. One other maintenance thing about the cap with the needle, fill up the bottle that comes with cap and needle with water at the end of the day and flush the needle clean. Otherwise bait scent left in the needle will dry out and plug the needle.

Doug

Sounds like good advice. When I build my rigs, I am going to put something on them that will hold the scent like Dave is saying. I have some insulating foam that should work great.

Dave - what do you do with your rigs after a days fishing is over? I could see that herring oil soaked foam getting all over my gunwhales if I were to leave them on the rods. I usually pull all of my halibut rigs off the rods when we get done fishing. I have been using gallon baggies to put the rigs in - is there a better way?

I use a small bit of a petroleum clean up diaper soaked with herring oil in the eye hole on my jigs. I could tell a huge difference between the number of strikes with the oil vs without. Just cut a 1" by 2" rectangle and fold it up so you can push it through the eye hole on your jig. I put my herring oil in a small squeeze bottle and put a few drops on each side of the cloth (hold it over the side to prevent an oily mess as mentioned earlier). Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Sounds like good advice. When I build my rigs, I am going to put something on them that will hold the scent like Dave is saying. I have some insulating foam that should work great.

Dave - what do you do with your rigs after a days fishing is over? I could see that herring oil soaked foam getting all over my gunwhales if I were to leave them on the rods. I usually pull all of my halibut rigs off the rods when we get done fishing. I have been using gallon baggies to put the rigs in - is there a better way?
    I keep a big gallon (?) sized container in my fish box/bait hold and whenever I pull my lines for the day I just stick all my used rigs inside of that---just hook the hooks over the rim of the container and put the rest of the rig inside of the container. Keeps all the extraneous oil pretty well contained.

I used the Cajun Injector syringe that I had left over from injecting turkeys ~ seems to work pretty good for me. This year I had lots of octopus from shrimping so I added a piece after the herring and it seemed to help hold the herring on. I really look forward to catching more of our own herring next season. I learned a lot about where/when to catch them this year in PWS. Now to perfect my brine...I'll use all the tips I've learned from AOD.

I never inject anything in my baits. I try to use the freshest bait possible and do not think it is advantageous to add any scent that is stronger than the real thing. Better to spend your time trying to figure out where the fish are and feed them a decent bait. Just my two cents...

I agree with AKCAPT. No injecting needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I never inject anything in my baits. I try to use the freshest bait possible and do not think it is advantageous to add any scent that is stronger than the real thing. Better to spend your time trying to figure out where the fish are and feed them a decent bait. Just my two cents...
    I agree totally as you can see from my previous posts. But just curious what you do to combat the dreaded stolen bait phenomenon. Do you have your clients reel up and check their bait every time they get a good hit on their line, or do you employ some sort of method like I do to keep scent on your leader if the bait disappears?

The way Andy rigs his big herring leads me to believe there aren`t many stolen baits. Maybe he will post a pic or describe his rig. I do something similar with mine (rigged like Ballyhoo) when I bait fish and have had very good success.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Normaly I do not inject but I do carry all the gear to do it with. I have days that things are going slow and I will add some extra scent. I do like adding scent to jigs. Herring oil is the main thing but I tried some Berky spray on scent and it seemed to work. Many customers bring their own special sauce and I let them use it as long as they clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post

Just wondering if we can get to describe you rigs in detail and add a picture of them. It would be great appreciated be all on the forum.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I can and will but it may take a couple of days to dig through some photos.

agreed, it is one more thing to do to inject each peice of bait. maybe on inital setup and first drop, but otherwise I'd go nuts trying to do this everytiime. Closed Cell foam, is a great idea... thanks Muttley.

On the otherside, salting herring can help toughen it up, and if you really wanted to you could brine/cure then add herring oil. There are dozens of ways to bait-up, just have to find what works for you, your boat, and how you like to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    agreed, it is one more thing to do to inject each peice of bait. maybe on inital setup and first drop, but otherwise I'd go nuts trying to do this everytiime. Closed Cell foam, is a great idea... thanks Muttley.

On the otherside, salting herring can help toughen it up, and if you really wanted to you could brine/cure then add herring oil. There are dozens of ways to bait-up, just have to find what works for you, your boat, and how you like to fish.
    You're welcome, though make sure it's OPEN cell foam and not closed. Don't think closed cell would hold much liquid. Natural sponge would probably work, too. But it's a little on the pricey side.