Thread: Draw confusion

Default Draw confusion

I was wondering if anyone could clear a few questions up for me concerning the drawing. I am wanting to put in for caribou, so should I do the Tier I or a draw tag? Also, if I do the Tier I do I put everyone over 10 in the household that may hunt, or everyone period? My wife will not hunt to save her life, so it's just me and the oldest boy that will be going. This is my first year to be able to put in for the tags, so I am a little confused. Thanks.

You of course have to make a choice. The Tier 1 tag is a family tag, which anyone in the family can shoot. You only get one tag that way, but it's a guranteed tag. You only put in one time for that tag. You have to list your family members on the application.
    If you put in for the drawing tag, for all three of your family, you could win three tags, or you could win no tags.

I personally did Tier 1 last year for the family, but this year I'm putting us all in individually for the drawing tags. Mainly because I'm hoping a healthy caribou herd will allow a lot of tags and good odds. But it is a chance of not being able to put a caribou on the table at all.

My boy will be 10 in Feb, and I already got him his hunter education. Your boy will need that also if he hasn't got it already.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the information. I think I will just apply for the draw then. My son had hunters education when we lived in Arkansas, through the NRA summer camp he attended. I asked the ADFG and they did tell me he was good to go unless it was a restricted weapon hunt. Again, thanks for the information.

If you put in for tier 1, your whole household is allowed "1" caribou and you can only hunt moose and caribou in unit 13 only.

I would assume the odds for people would increase alot since they gave out so many permits this year. If you were drawn this year you cannot apply for the same hunt next year.

If this is his first year to hunt.. i would put in for the Tier I tag...this away you know you will get a tag..no question. Then take the family out and let one of the kids pull the trigger on his/her first bou...get this over with next year..then put in everyone in for the draw tags.

just another option.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I would assume the odds for people would increase alot since they gave out so many permits this year. If you were drawn this year you cannot apply for the same hunt next year.
    Very good point!!!!!!!!!!! That right there made me decide what to do.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Very good point!!!!!!!!!!! That right there made me decide what to do.
    me too... 7x3=21 chances
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just wondering if I got a tier1 tag could my son in law proxy hunt for me along with his tier1 tag ? or should we go for the draw? I need him to proxy hunt if that's legal. Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure the proxy rule applies the same between Tier I and Draw tags. Check the Tier supplement regs to be sure.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    me too... 7x3=21 chances
    Rub it in
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Yep, except I think a LOT of people are going to be doing just what lots on here are planning on doing. A lot of this years Tier I folks saw all the draw numbers given out to the draw folks and will take their chances in the draw rather than be locked into unit 13. I imagine the draw percentage of the 480-483 is going to be the same or slightly less than this past year as more people don't want to be locked into unit 13 for moose hunting. Which I think is great, no sense in cramming all those people in a single GMU for moose.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_LOST View Post
    If you put in for tier 1, your whole household is allowed "1" caribou and you can only hunt moose and caribou in unit 13 only.
    Just curious..So what if I happen to be a one person family...as in single...can I apply for a tier 1 permit?

your odds decrease. or to say it another way-- your chances to draw a moose tag are reduced. remember EVERYBODY else also got those extra chances at moose tags. example: Now, some people who were only hunting bull in 20B, may now list three cow choices for same area. They know area, seen animals, ect.
    your percentages for drawing moose tags just went way down. And some of them may look like Buffalo tag percentage for next year. A good thing is, this may raise some caribou percentage to draw.
    I wish I could see a break down of tags issued 2012 season that WILL NOT be issued for the 2013 season. There seems to be quite a few missing.
    this will also subtract from your chances to draw a tag. the only example I could name right now is Muskox DX097. (and no tags were issued last year so... those 700 odd folks will be choosing other hunts for this year draw.)

So, lets put our numbers down and throw the dice.. and hopefully we will planning our hunts a lot sooner than last year. results are susposed to be out a lot quicker this time around!

Good luck to all,
    Chris

Yes, a "family of 1" can get the Tier I tag.

One other point that some of you are forgetting... they changed the rules on the tag application process this year. The application period closes on Dec 17th at COB instead of the 31st. What this means is that a whole bunch of people who don't pay much attention to the internet or forums are going to try to send in their tag applications after Christmas, like they always have, only to find out that they missed the closing. There will be a lot of pissed off folks come New Year's Eve.

Unit 13 is no small area. In fact, it is flippin' huge. There's lots of room and lots of access. And there is also lots of game. We still haven't solved the moose shortage or the bear explosion on the Kenai, so I don't intend to hunt my backyard for several years. The lower we can get the moose hunting pressure on the Kenai, the faster they will be able to bounce back from the brink of destruction. Until that bounce, I'll continue to go with Unit 13. There are a lot more moose up there than we have down here and I'm fine with just eating caribou for a few years, too.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Just wondering if I got a tier1 tag could my son in law proxy hunt for me along with his tier1 tag ? or should we go for the draw? I need him to proxy hunt if that's legal. Thanks guys.
    You've got to be either 65+ or severely disabled (I think a doctor has to verify - in writting- that you are at least 70% physically disabled) in order to give someone your proxy.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    In addition to Gary's response, it's also assuming that your son maintains his own household, which qualifies him for his own Tier 1 tag. If he still resides in your house, then he is already a lawful hunter on your Tier 1 tag, so proxy is a moot point. I'm sure you already knew that though.