Thread: AR Freezing

Default AR Freezing

My buddy has a colt AR platform that is having some freezing problems. The heat generated from firing it once is enough to condense any moisture and freeze up the bolt.
    Anybody out there with an AR that has a remedy for this?

YEP.......real easy, tell him to watch this video. The AR need nearly zero lubrication.....http://www.gunauction.com/news/index...d-maintenance/

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Was stationed at Ft. Wainwright in the Army. No lube on / in the M-16s in the winter, functioned even at minus 40-50 degrees F semi and full auto with out any problems. M-60s functioned with a little automatic transmission fluid in the critical spots also with out problems. With both they were kept outside, (as not in heated squad tents), when in the field or at the range.

IF you are shooting alot use a dry carbon lube comes in a spray can works great. If you are using it for calling and just going to be shooting 1-2 shots at a time go with no lube. And once the gun is outside leave it out dont bring it inside or in a warm vehicle to warm up the gun will " sweat" from the temp differences then when you go back out it WILL freeze and that is with or without lube.

I agree with all of the above. When I've seen this happen it's one of two problems. Either a cold/warm/cold cycle or too much lube. I don't buy into the whole "you got to run 'em wet" methodology. I see guys apply lube with a spray bottle while I use a Q-tip and only put it where needed. I've never, except for using those nasty blanks, had any problems. If it's clean and maintained you don't need to "run 'em wet". Now I will say that if you are going through upwards of 1,000 rounds in a rapid session without breaks for a wipedown you may need to slap some excessive lube on there, but not as a rule. I've used minimal to no lube in -20 weather doing 300 to 500 round drills without malfunction. But, go into the warming shed and back out into the cold with the weapon and you'll usually be dead in the water until you can thaw and dry it out.

have you guys ever tried the flitz gun wax? I believe that would protect your gun and give the gun a very smooth feel. I switched to the gun wax and have not lubed my guns with oil since march. That is because i bought the stuff in march and it works great.

Default AR Freezing

In colder temps what are you guys considering the critical points of lube for an AR?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    In colder temps what are you guys considering the critical points of lube for an AR?
    None. Run it dry

I've heard this a few times...guys cleaing them in gas and running them dry.

I had some freeze up issues last winter calling in the 17hmr. Cleaned it good a couple of times and ran some Mpro7 in it. Havent had the chance to test it since the switch.

This Colt is faulty and being the nice guy, I'll take it off his hands for a 'project gun'. PM me anytime...

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Watch the video........