Thread: Black Bear hunting from boat

Default Black Bear hunting from boat

I'm taking a black bear hunt from a boat this year. The transporter does no guiding (in Whittier) and all is up to the hunters. The reason for my post is to get more info and be better prepared for the hunt. I'd appreciate input from the board.
    If you have done this before, what items did you wish you had taken but forgot?
    How far are the shots? Is it mostly on the beach shooting? or hike into the hills?
    What is the average distance of the shot?
    What is the cost of having a rug made?
    Are there any recommended taxidermists in Anchorage?

Thank you in advance.

Better read reg no shot on big game in pws from the boat..... On page 51 of the regs.
    Second knights tax. Is best in anchorage
    sc
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

This is your best place to start. The transporter may only transport you. He can not offer any help basically except to transport. You may not hunt from a boat in unit 6D unless you are disabled. You will have to get to shore and hunt from there. I would also start searching the forum and reading. It is not easy hunting. You will have mountains, maybe snow to contend with. Shots are going to vary. Plan on being able to hit to 300 yards and hope for the best. You are going to be doing spot-and-stalk. As for what is in Anchorage, others will chime in.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Budget aroung $1K for a black bear rug, depending on size and taxidermist. Griz - add 35% to those numbers.

Most of the black bear hunters in PWS drive a boat around until they find a bear, then they go downwind and get on shore and start hunting. You can also walk up into the creek drainages. If it's a spring hunt, take snowshoes with you if you are going to try to get up into the creek bottoms. Depending on time of year and the winter snow levels, you can be in for a lot of snow.

If you are doing it this year - I would think that you need to hurry - before we get too much snow and they den up. It is cold in PWS right now - sleeping on a warm boat will be a big plus. If you are camping - you better take some warm gear and know how to survive with it. Wet and Cold is going to be the name of the game.

We hunted with "Capt'n Ron" out of Whittier...outstanding hunt. Nephew took a 7'2" boar, was a Sept hunt. We called a recommended taxidermist 4 times no answer so went to Knights and it turned out great...was just over $1000 and change in 2005. Shooting distance = your capability and yes it's all from the beach. A good rangefinder is something to have as is optics as usual. To have transportation we rented a u-haul van $19.95 a day ...then....and drove from Anchorage & parked it in Whittier. I'm sure there are tons of boat based threads on this site.....Have a great trip...

I did this hunt in May on the "Good Times" out of Whittier. Absolutely had a blast. Saw lots of bears and caught lots fish. The scenery is spectacular. At the last minute I trew a pair of instep crampons in my pack. I'm sure glad I did they saved my butt trying to get down a hill after a stalk. I would also recomend Knights. Have fun and post your story.

Thank you Pronghorn- Good Times is the book I have booked for June 2013. Thanks to all the suggestions from others too. Pronghorn, can I PM you with more questions? How to get the bear to the taxidermist (salt/no salt), leave head intact? leave paws intact? How far inshore did you need to travel to hunt? Were there lots of shooting opportunities or do you need to capitolize on each one? What are the sleeping accomodations like?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by rodak7 View Post
    How to get the bear to the taxidermist (salt/no salt), leave head intact? leave paws intact? How far inshore did you need to travel to hunt?
    I would pick a taxidermist first then ask him what he would like you to do with it prior to bringing it home. Some guys will take care of the paws and head for you, others will want you to take care of it before bringing it in.

OK, I'm back from my trip- success for 3 out of 4 hunters. Bears were smaller than expected. Weather was rainy every day. The hunting was not beach hunting as described. The hunting is on mountains straight up and down. Our longest kill shot was 700yds (lots of practice and rifle set up for 1000 yds) The shortest kill shot was 200yds. the last hunter had 3 opportunities to connect and missed 3x. the fishing was very good and the accomodations were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by rodak7 View Post
    OK, I'm back from my trip- success for 3 out of 4 hunters. Bears were smaller than expected. Weather was rainy every day. The hunting was not beach hunting as described. The hunting is on mountains straight up and down. Our longest kill shot was 700yds (lots of practice and rifle set up for 1000 yds) The shortest kill shot was 200yds. the last hunter had 3 opportunities to connect and missed 3x. the fishing was very good and the accomodations were very good.
    Happy you had a good hunt, I got my bear this year in PWS.... at 60 yards on the beach.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

What...no pics!

Congrats on your success and thanks for following up with a post to close this out.
    BK

Here's a pic from this past weekend of my wife's first black bear.
    He's 5 foot 4 inches and we took him direct to Mike Frazer of Fur and Feather in South Anchorage.
    I've used Mike for more than a dozen years and he does absolutely fabulous work.
    I've called him the rug doctor in years past when someone messed up their hide he was able to recover it and make a very high quality product.
    He'll pop the head and do the feet at no additional charge too.
    He uses real life skull mounts which add significantly to the natural look [colors are spot on w/slightly stained teeth and a tongue that looks so real you can't help but touch it] and feel.
    He adds fill padding to the rug to give it a little depth too.
    He doesn't take as long as many places.

bear 2013 030.jpg