Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what gives with all the " I don't target Coyote"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default what gives with all the " I don't target Coyote"

the last few weeks i have been doing my homework and contacting others i know trap in my area, so i can make sure i don't run through where they are running...

of course the eyebrow goes up... and "WELL!!! i go from here to here and up to there... and down over there... and been there for YEARS... starts up..

until i tell them..

i JUST want to target the coyotes... and thin them down... i know they are eating the sheep.. and suspect their numbers are high enough to take young moose down too...

OH!!!! is the reply... "oh shoot come on over... i don't target them, I don't want to skin them or deal with them".... is what i am told time and again...

" no martin right? " no lynx cubbies??? "

nope

cool come on over and run your trail sets.

So... what gives? am i mistakenly thinking that if more of the trappers helped with the problem critters we MIGHT not have the problem we have now?

supposedly sheep hunting was nearly canned in the early 40"s in the AK range due to over yote population, and now they are back. are coyotes that disgusting to deal with? or is it the lack of profit for the work involved?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So... what gives? am i mistakenly thinking that if more of the trappers helped with the problem critters we MIGHT not have the problem we have now?

supposedly sheep hunting was nearly canned in the early 40"s in the AK range due to over yote population, and now they are back. are coyotes that disgusting to deal with? or is it the lack of profit for the work involved?
    I think that is your answer. What is really funny is that the coyotes compete with the marten and the lynx, if the coyote population was less the lynx and marten populations would increase.

Don't know about your way Vince but that sure isn't the attitude i've run into down here on the peninsula. Maybe with the die hard lynx trappers but the casual folks like me and my friends are tickled to get a coyote.

I know they're not technically worth much on the market, but the coyote I've taken have beautiful fur and would make excellent fur garments. I certainly hope to take a few more this winter.

Keep after it, Vince - as an invasive species, any coyote taken out is a good thing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I know they're not technically worth much on the market, but the coyote I've taken have beautiful fur and would make excellent fur garments. I certainly hope to take a few more this winter.

Keep after it, Vince - as an invasive species, any coyote taken out is a good thing.
    brian i have been talking to the old timers, and they disagree with the invasive species...seems yotes have been "documented" in the interior since the EARLY 1900's and that the Fed predator programs back in the 40's-50's knocked the heck out of them.. and they have been reboundings since. remember they used to drop balls of poison bait from aircraft many years ago...

and these are not just old timers.. but retired 20 years ago bios..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"it's all mine but you can have the table scraps"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    "it's all mine but you can have the table scraps"
    in general YES... the difficulty i have is the continuing complaints of declining hunting opportunity...

i want to target a speices that actually can do a ton of harm in a season or two... Fox and lynx eat rabbits and birds.. yotes and wolfs eat sheep, caribou, moose, bears( denned) as well as rabbits, birds, fox and lynx..... so doesnt it make sence to spend a little time while in an area?

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    in general YES... the difficulty i have is the continuing complaints of declining hunting opportunity...

i want to target a speices that actually can do a ton of harm in a season or two... Fox and lynx eat rabbits and birds.. yotes and wolfs eat sheep, caribou, moose, bears( denned) as well as rabbits, birds, fox and lynx..... so doesnt it make sence to spend a little time while in an area?
    I watched a trail cam awhile back that showed one or two coyotes taking down a full grown whitetail buck......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Vince most trappers dont target coyote because the work doesnt outweigh the reward ( $$$ ) the coyote fur market is flooded from the lower 48 since they are everywhere so you dont get much $$ for their hides. If you factor in time having your traps tied up towards targeting yotes and then all the time put in to skinning and fleshing its not worth it you may break even for fuel and supplies. When marten and lynx are brining in record prices it just makes since to go after them.

From a management view and not a trappers view it absolutely makes since to go after them but when your goal is $$ it makes little since. When I run my line i dont target them either but i sure do like to call them and most of the ones I shoot I keep for myself as wall hangers or give them out as gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I watched a trail cam awhile back that showed one or two coyotes taking down a full grown whitetail buck......
    I saw a video of several coyotes taking down a full grown deer also, they pretty much ate it alive. But that's what predators do, and you can't really fault them for trying to survive.
    "Grin and Bear It"

as Vince pointed out,,imagine what they can do to a sheep population.. All to many are worried about the bigger dogs and meanwhile the small dogs are sneaking in and causing havoc...

So, does a coyote pelt have any sales value.......????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So, does a coyote pelt have any sales value.......????
    Here are some prices from 2011. http://www.nafa.ca/auction/archive/N...pper-r-USD.pdf

$50 a pelt is worth anyone's times.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    when they are packing up... i can bet they are taking down young moose also.. and some of these yotes are huge. i would gather its a matter of time before they learn to un den small bears like the wolf do...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Vince most trappers dont target coyote because the work doesnt outweigh the reward ( $$$ ) the coyote fur market is flooded from the lower 48 since they are everywhere so you dont get much $$ for their hides. If you factor in time having your traps tied up towards targeting yotes and then all the time put in to skinning and fleshing its not worth it you may break even for fuel and supplies. When marten and lynx are brining in record prices it just makes since to go after them.

From a management view and not a trappers view it absolutely makes since to go after them but when your goal is $$ it makes little since. When I run my line i dont target them either but i sure do like to call them and most of the ones I shoot I keep for myself as wall hangers or give them out as gifts.
    but why not make fox sets large enough to catch the yotes also? yotes move in.. fox move out or are eaten... cats too.. i know cats are easy to catch... but if the set was made smart enough to fool the dog... it would fill both side...

i guess my feeling is.. i dont hunt to break even... and trapping is a on again off again.. pass time... so i shouldnt worry about breaking even there either

Also... if you do nail some you dont want to deal with.. send them my way.. we'll skin & tan them.. sew them into sno go guantlets or somthing usable.. and share a percentage back...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    when they are packing up... i can bet they are taking down young moose also.. and some of these yotes are huge. i would gather its a matter of time before they learn to un den small bears like the wolf do...
    Or maybe even start going for people!
    "Grin and Bear It"

A coyote bedspread would look awesome!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Or maybe even start going for people!
    k Tb.. cant tell if youre sarcazim button is on or not... but they are taking the neighbors pets.. i found a coyote kill of a partly eaten husky/sled dog weekend before last, that was (before being munched) equal or slightly larger then a yote..

meet on face book here

Time for me to put up a chicken coop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast