Thread: Burn Barrel Help

Default Burn Barrel Help

Thinking about putting a fire barrel out on our lake this winter for skating and fishing warm up. Have a ventilated drum, but I'm wondering the best way to a) help keep a fire in it and b) make sure we can get it off the ice before breakup. Are these normally put on a pallet? Right on the ice? Wait for a good layer of snow? I figure I could always put a bouy on it once breakup gets close and then recover it. Thanks for any advice!!

try sand / rocks in the bottom 2 / 3 inches an put on a pallet

Pallet will work

Default Burn Barrel Help

Set it on 3 center blocks.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Why not just weld 3 or 4 Legs to elevate it up off the ice by a foot and a half? If you have a welder or know some one. I was actually thinking about doing this. Taking a 55 gallon barrel, cut it in half then weld 4 legs onto it to get it up off the ice and take it ice fishing on days when there is no wind and don't feel like setting up a tent (or if I dont have one by then lol). Also good idea about the sand, it will help hold heat like bricks in a wood stove but also should act as a barrier.

Thanks....I'll go with the pallets....I think the weldledlegswould lheat anger unto the ice ....might put a couple cinder blocks insides the drum. Not sure I can scrape up that miuch sand gravel right now. I'll try to post back after I use it a few times, which may be quite a while

lots of stores have sand bags for sale this time of year for pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Thanks....I'll go with the pallets....I think the weldledlegswould lheat anger unto the ice ....might put a couple cinder blocks insides the drum. Not sure I can scrape up that miuch sand gravel right now. I'll try to post back after I use it a few times, which may be quite a while
    They shouldn't , if they are a foot and a half long they should be long enough. But sounds like you have a plan so good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Thinking about putting a fire barrel out on our lake this winter for skating and fishing warm up. Have a ventilated drum, but I'm wondering the best way to a) help keep a fire in it and b) make sure we can get it off the ice before breakup. Are these normally put on a pallet? Right on the ice? Wait for a good layer of snow? I figure I could always put a bouy on it once breakup gets close and then recover it. Thanks for any advice!!
    If I was doing this I think more about one of those back yard fire pits depot/lowes sells. I know a burn barrel is cheaper,but they are heavy and really only get to enjoy the heat from the fire but not the fire it self. Some of the fire pits are nice to see more of the fire and with legs it shouldn't melt into the ice. when your done easy to back off the ice. I got one of these a couple years back and makes for a great fire any where you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by akgrizcr View Post
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking right there.