Thread: Summer re-cap: Photo Edition

Post Summer re-cap: Photo Edition

Just got back from the last trip of the year and thought I'd share some pics yet another amazing AK summer. Once again it started and ended with steel with the peak months being focused on getting some new people out and getting them their first few fish on the fly.

The high snow year all over AK made spring steel a NIGHTMARE the fish were there but it was an epic journey every day just to get to the fishing grounds.

Once at the holes SE proved to be as beautiful as always

A few fish a day made all the post holing worth it

My friend has had open heart surgery 3 times before he turned 28 and has had a rough go of it over the past few years. He was able to make it all the way down to the ocean with a hear rate monitor to keep his rate below 140 bpm. However after the long trek he successfully hooked and landed this fish, his first ever fish on a fly rod, and that monitor was going nuts!

Came back to south central and went dipping for the first time. 3 hours later we had full permits!

Made some new friends this year and was able to put them on some fish. By the end of the summer they were hooking, fighting, landing and releasing all on their own.

Summer ended with another trip to SE to explore the continuing mystery of whether or not you can reliably catch steel in the fall. The verdict on the fish is still out but with 10 straight days without a drop of rain you can't really complain.

Sometimes you explore yourself into a corner. It is nice to figure out where the fish aren't I guess

All in all another amazing summer. Steelhead trip v4.1 is already planned and all that is left for this year is to start skiing.

Great pictures and recap of this year's fishing events. That is one heck of a log jam! I made my first trip to SE this year. Hit the situk river and my first go at steel. Fished the river while it was over 1600 cfs. Tough hike in and tough fishing but managed some fish. Nothing like catching a steelhead. I caught the bug. lol Thanks for the share.

Matt thank you for sharing also nice to see your dad again after all these years! Grass-Hopper you have blossomed into a butter-fly! All that is left to be said is You Da Man! Keep up the great work and always continue to share your adventures!

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Cool pics man, nice job.

Nice Photos! Thanks for sharing them.

Good work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	65152Caught this one on the Montana the weekend prior to the big flooding. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080618.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	65153Daughter caught a nice one at a lake in Talkeetna. Cant beat that smile!

Kick ass Matt!
    Awesome adventures to admire once again before we return to a white winter.
    Look forward to skiing with ya this winter!

Great pictures, thank you. I've never caught a steelie, but man do I want to! And it just so happens that those fish seem to pass through some of the most beautiful scenery. A two-fer.