Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W Blacktails and Black Bears

Default P.O.W Blacktails and Black Bears

Have a couple buddies that would like to try a D.I.Y Black Bear hunt, and I would like to go for Blacktail's. What time of the year would be feasible to try for both on P.O.W. ? Thought maybe we would Rent a vehicle and or a cabin to base out of, and take a run at it. Probably have a year at least to plan, so any info. will be helpful. Thanks in advance !!

Well....That would be the fall...Black Bear season opens again on Sept 1st, deer season opens August 1st, and buck and doe season on the 15th of September...Just to give ya an idea.

I'll send ya a PM with some other info..

PWS all the way....POW is shot out and suffered catastrophic winter kill this year.

I've heard mixed reports on the winter kill part. Theres been no official reports from F&G from what I've heard.

Almost all the deer in my area (Juneau) appear to be very healthy as well..

I've a friend of a friend who lives there, and I can't believe the news.

Also, the biologists and guides have agendas...don't look for truth there...

Perfect....the friend of the friend rumor mill..

Kids should be seen and not heard....

Hey man - I'm just saying, your basing all your statements I've seen on your personal opinions - Some of which I think are wrong - I have every right to challenge you on that. If you cant handle me questioning some of your opinions, or putting my personal expierences in. Than dont reply - Theres no need for a rude reply when its not warranted.

Everyone is talking about the winterkill. Common knowledge now, or will be soon.

And everyone has been hearing mixed reports, and seeing mixed things - Everyone has been talking about the concern of a high winter kill - But no one knows for sure how it is yet.

Translated: You don't know...

I never said I did Dave :P

the road system in Juneau got a 3rd as much snow as the rest of southeast, the deer here all look healthy but notice there is no snow left on the mainland whereas admiralty still has a whole lot of it. Winterkill hit hard for sure.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hard to deny that was a bad winter in S.E. Alaska. Record snowfalls do not make for good news when it comes to deer season the next fall.

That's not rocket science.

saw 4 winterkills yesterday while I was out hiking....one looked to be a nice buck judging by the bases on its skull..

Default POW

According to friends in Ketchikan, POW was spared the winter kill that affected the Northern Panhandle. Didn't get near the snow nor did it last as long.

People reporting otherwise might have ulterior motives such as keeping hunters away from some of the best big buck hunting in Alaska. Maybe the best.

I'd research POW more if I was you. If I wanted to do a combo like that this year, POW is where I'd go.

Wink Heavy, Heavy snows

will make this a poor year on POW. Can't give any kind of recommendation on hunting there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    People reporting otherwise might have ulterior motives such as keeping hunters away from some of the best big buck hunting in Alaska. Maybe the best.
    Perhaps your sources are guides....

Default Sept hunt

is the best combo for the Black Bear with a Sitka Blacktail side or visa versa ...

I would pick the most wanted animal and look for a good one and then if there is time go for the other.

It is basically two different hunts as the Deer are on top and the Bear are in the fish bottoms.

USFS and ADF&G has been in the field on dead deer patrol and have only found a few. ... about 1 in 3 seem to be winter kill. We found like 8 while on our recent Bear hunt and none were winter kill. That is winter stress kill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast