Thread: Lost/Stolen items?

Question Lost/Stolen items?

Do you think it would be useful to have a sticky for people to post messages about lost items or ones that they have found? There have been a couple of posts lately concerning such losses, and a member contacted us about putting up such a thread. What do you all think? What forum do you think it should be in (only one, please...I don't want this to be at the top of every forum)? Any ideas on how to make this work well? As with all things, this forum gets better by through the input of the members. Thanks for the ideas!

Brian, While I know the forum list is beginning to look more like a laundry list these days I think that this topic is a good idea.

I'd vote for creating an entire new section for it as opposed to making it a sticky. It'd be much easier to spot, and would probably be easier to manage in that regard.

I know I've Lost and Found a lot of gear over the years, and with stuff I found, unless there was some identifying technique used by the owner, I had no way of getting it back to them. I've posted a few Found notes at trail heads, only once was I contacted...He was glad to get his "misplaced" pistol back...And I was happy (yet a lil sad ) to get it back to its rightful owner.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Good idea

I think most people on here are very honest, and It would feel good to everyone Im sure to know that If they lose something valuable everyone on the forum would be on the llokout, and turn in whatever they find.

On other kayaking forums I go to, people always post that they've found things on the beach and such, and try to help each other out. It fosters a belief that man will eventually evolve into what he can become.

Some Rush lyrics that always inspire me:
    "The most endangered species...the honest man, will still survive annihilation. Forming a world, state of integrity; sensitive, open and strong."
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Good idea...example: Last year employed the services of Ron"s Riverboat at Susitna landing for a float trip shuttle down Moose Creek. While driving to the dropoff Ron mentioned a friend of his had absent mindedly left a fly rod behind on one of the sandbars five or six miles downstream and if we would keep an eye out for it he would be most greatful. Actualy turned out to be eight miles but my keen eyed grandson spotted it laying against a willow that I had walked by several times. The odds of our finding that outfit were slim but had we not been alerted to look for it I am quite sure we would have never seen it. We returned it to Ron who in turn gave a generous but unecessary reward to my grandson. I am sure the owner of the rod was happy to get it back! The incident was a good lesson in "doing the right thing" for my grandson too.

Default Good Idea

As we age and get tunnelvision (thoughts of grand Kings landed with a 8wt) we sometimes forget things. Where did I put that? I left in on top of the station wagon, again?? "Funny, I had three fly rods when I came here..." (nother reason I use less expensive sunglasses, and always try to use Croakies)

So yea, would be a good idea. Also, to make it work, Serial numbers, vibra etched names, ssn numbers (or something) should be recorded before leaving on a trip.. Should be part of the check off procedure. Makes it easier on everyone if we know exactly who's stuff, or exactly what stuff, to keep an eye out for.. Also, could be used to check Ebay too.

Scuba divers are infamous for leaving stuff behind.. Having a way to get stuff back to owners is a good thing, and, in case of Hanky Panky, alert us all to problem trends that might be forming.

Lightbulb New Section

I agree. I just posted a lost tackle box thread because I found one this weekend and figured I would try to locate who lost it so someone else didn't just take off with it.

A section would be warranted. I have lost a nice net once, but not much else really. I found a rod and reel that had been in the river back in Wisconsin for a long time, took it home and cleaned it up... works like a charm. I tend to find lost things rather than lose them myself.

Carey

Where do you guys think this would work best? I'm thinking a single sticky on top of the hunting and fishing forums, and maybe on the hiking forum as well. What do you think? I want to provide this feature without adding to much to the clutter of the site.

Default section

Yeah, just one section with a sticky link to it from each forum, that way if someone is looking for lost/found, they can just go directly there.

Default Stolen...

Yes... I think that this would help a great deal.
    We have been in Denver for a few days and my husband just made it back to Fairbanks this morning to find that our Raft has been stolen out of our pond on our property. It looks as if that's all they came for because some of the paddles are still there.

Here is a picture of it with one of our children and two other kidlets from our church:

If you have any details or leads on who may have stolen our raft, please let us know. It's been an all time favorite for my children during their first true summer in Alaska.

Thanks!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.