Thread: fish bags

Default fish bags

Does anyone know if anyone sells fish bags here in Alaska? I need one because I don't want to use a stringer out in the salt water in my kayak, and be the apple of an orca's eye.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Not knowing what fish bags you are talking about but I have an idea. garbage bag inside a burlap bag or a nylon type burlap bag that dog food is mailed in. If you don't have access to one send me your email and I will get you one.

George

Not recently but once I saw these at Sports Authority.

I had never heard of them either, at least until yesterday. The kayak fishermen on the CA coast suggested I get a few or so of these bags to keep fish in when rather than using a stringer, and rather than sliming up the inside of my boat. With a stringer, an orca of sea lion could grab my fish and it might get stressful for me. So I did a Google search for fish bags, and sure enough, they exist. I may end up having to mail order some from CA.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

If you are in Anchorage, there is always this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...vcat=searchcat

Scott

I'd be more worried about sea lions and bag or no bag they'll get your fish (& you) if they want it, same goes for a orca. I'd fillet my fish stuff it in a zip lock and put it in the yak.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd be more worried about sea lions and bag or no bag they'll get your fish (& you) if they want it, same goes for a orca.
    Get me , I don't know about an Orca , but a sea lion? Isn't that what they make handguns, long guns and bangsticks for?
    Brad S

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    Get me , I don't know about an Orca , but a sea lion? Isn't that what they make handguns, long guns and bangsticks for?

Adult [Steller sea lion] females average 579 pounds (263 kg) in weight and 8 2/3 feet (228 cm) in length. Although only 20 percent longer, the average adult male weighs over twice as much as the average adult female.
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...ne/sealion.php

The Marine Mammal Protection Act provides for a $20,000 fine for the unauthorized killing of Any protected marine mammal.

A few sportfish caught on vacation are not adequate justification to kill any of our magnificent animals.

Especially since most of us are smart enough to avoid the problem altogether.
    We wouldn't walk around the bush with a pork chop tied to our belts, why do something similar in the ocean?

I know I'm very glad that Keet considers kayak a little bony for the meat that's in 'em.
    Consider an animal that is 10,000 lbs of muscle, just as hard as a tree trunk. An animal that suckled his mother in Force 10 seas, then grew some teeth...

In 1992, flipper tags from fourteen Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) were found in the stomach of a killer whale (Orcinus orca) that had died in Prince William Sound (Heise et al., 2003).
    The diet of transient killer whales [in False Pass] in spring was primarily gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus)...
    http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...-behavior.html

Good WIKI article that includes the three known tribes of Ar'luk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca

Why they call him Seawolf....

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-54a9512859d0

"We wouldn't walk around the bush with a pork chop tied to our belts, why do something similar in the ocean?"

Ishmael

If you'll look closer at the posts by Potbuilder and myself you'll see there's no mention of this in our posts. We were discussing being attacked by a stellar sea lion, in which case I don't give a **** about the Marine Mammal Protection Act. If something attacks me I have a right to defend myself and will do so.

I'll worry about the regulations later.
    Brad S

I pity the pinniped that thinks he can filch fish from a formidable kayaker like you, Brad.

But heck, it's your vacation. Why not just jam your fish in an El Cheapo dry bag and stuff them someplace the sun don't shine, like your aft hatch?

Ishmael

Yeah, that's cool (not). I guess you're one of those P.E.T.A. people that thinks humans are just a scab on the earth and if some animal wants to kill us we should just lay down and die right?
    Brad S

Default "What Would Chuck Norris Do?"

I can tell you're gonna be the 'corest dude on the kayak tour, Brad.

Tell me, do you prefer to fish from a kayak with a rifle slung across your back, or a hogleg in a shoulder holster outside your paddling jacket?

What are the signs of an impending sea lion attack?

What do you do with your paddle and fishing rod when it comes time to throw down on a 1000lb sea carnivore bent on mischief?

Do you settle it from a seated position in a kayak? Do you throw a quick roll to get the drop on him with your deck knife?

What's your preferred caliber to knock him down quickly and positively?

What's your preferred shot placement?

What if the sea lion attacks from behind your yak?

Lots of questions!!

Thanks in advance!!

Smile Lucky for us

Most of the mentioned sea creatures are not usually,, and I say Usually interested in eating humans, or kayaks...
    I have had some sea creatures want to eat my catch though,, and that is always interesting..
    I think of it this way...
    Probably I will forget about the events of most of my fish catches..
    But I will probably never forget the times Sea creatures wanted what I had on the line, or on the stringer... And that is OK with me,, That is lots of fun,, and makes a great story,,
    I have had more than one seal go after my king salmon and my silver salmon in the kenai,,, That becomes one crazy fight for sure,,,
    Once in Seward we had some sea lions go after a ling cod I had on,, ,, guess what,,,, The sea lion won,,,
    I think I would never tie off the side of my kayak any fishy catch..
    Fighting with any of the mentioned mammals of the deep, is never legal, so.. this does not even make it into the equation...
    I think some peoples ears perk up when they hear about someone wanting to wrestle with these creatures...
    No need to battle amoungst us,,, Right??
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

[I think some peoples ears perk up when they hear about someone wanting to wrestle with these creatures...

That's understandable, and I have no desire to wrestle with them and would certainly let them have the fish if it came to that. I can always catch more fish, but My ears perk up as well when I read a post from someone who lives and fishes there and says that a 1200 lb animal will "get you" if it wants to. This sounds to me like a kayaker being attacked by a huge animal and gets my hackles up as well.

No need to battle amoungst us,,, Right??
    Max[/quote]

I agree, and was surprised at the personal attack by Ishmael, ie. "stuff them (fish) someplace where the sun don't shine, like your aft hatch".

I found the comment rude, irrelevant and uncalled for.
    Brad S

Default One time I

was walking the beach looking for Agats on the west side of Cook Inlet. I worked over there for a few years and every morning ( weather permitting) I walked the beach for a few miles, I found all kinds of cool rocks and some gems, including a nice Garnet that is pretty big as far as beach wash Garnets go.. anyway.. I see something rolling around in the serf up a head, so I go check it out,, and its a Seal... it is dead of course, and upon inspection, I see it has a bullet hole right between the eyes...
    It has not been dead long.. When I got back to camp, I called a Fish and game guy I know and asked him what the protocol was... Who do you call when you see something like this???
    Well,, he said he would take care of it himself, by contacting the right people, but as we visited, he told me that this is something that happens from time to time.. a fisherman gets tired of the Seals tearing up his nets, or getting caught in the nets, as the seal attempts to take fish that are trapped,,, My friend told me that many years ago, when laws were not so tight on shooting seals and other sea creatures, that when you did see a sea mammal, it was usually trying to stay clear of you... They had figured out that coming into contact with man was not always the best thing to happen,,, he said that back in those days the seals stayed clear of the nets... He said that because of protection for these creatures has been in effect, they seem to have lost any fear of humans, and can at times be big trouble.. they sometimes will haul out on docks and try to haul out on boats.. a guy in Kodiak was serously injured when a sea lion came out of the water hand bite a guys butt,, he was sitting on the edge of his boat, and the sea lion really got him good....
    they become pests and opportunists.... I guess in California and Oregon,, they are having problems with the different species of seals and sea lions etc, hauling out on peoples boats and really tearing them up looking for something to eat....
    Potentially they could be dangerous, and if they are thinking you migth have something they could eat in your kayak... they may get close or too close as they search.....
    Its a problem we have created, by letting them find food, or even feeding wild animals.. the are smart and are opportunists...
    I guess we should all be careful to not provide them with a reason to come around up looking for free snacks..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default A Mesh laundry bag

I abandoned fish stringers years ago. I now use a mesh laundry bag large enough to hold salmon. You can inquire at local dry cleaners and offer to buy one off of them...they may even give you one if you are a regular customer. As far as keeping orcas/sea lions at bay...well I offer you the idea of the mesh laundry bag. Keep the fish from bleeding will help from leaving a blood slick for predators to hone in on. Just a suggestion. I don't kayak...but I do fish.

Have you heard of seal bombs? They are what set netters here on kodiak use to scare away the sea lions. They are little percussion bombs that you throw in the water. Everyone tells me that they dont hurt them, but someone set one off on the beach (not underwater) and it was like the loudest gunshot Ive ever heard, I was about 1/2 mile away.
    Anyways, I am just getting started in kayak fishing and I obtained a few of those and a weatherproof torch lighter for next time to keep in my vest pocket just in case.

Default Fish Kill bags

The Tuna chasers off OR use these. My guess is you can get custom sizes made with relative ease. google around.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csdKillBags.htm

enjoy