Thread: Straight tail ski

Default Straight tail ski

I'm looking for a straight tail ski that is stc to go with my aero 3000
    im a 170b and my donut wheel on the back is worthless on hard pack
    where I'm parked
    Any suggestions?

For what airplane? I have a 6-7 year old brand new/never used Airglas ski I'd part with. For a Cub. Airglas tail skis didn't come with any approval. Installation is a minor mod, logbook entry. At least that's what Wes Landes told me. Shoot, now that I say that I guess I should try to find it!

I have a 170B. If you interested in letting it go I can further investigate.

If Mr Pids tail ski wont work for you check out Burls Magnum tail ski. I have one on my 170b and love it. I have never seen the Airglass tail ski in use so I cant say better or worse. I do like my Airglas 2500's though. Quality product.
    http://www.burlac.com/Tailski.html

I'm flying out of FAI and with the taxi ways packed I can't turn with my Scott 3200 and big wheel. I want to stay away from the wheel penetration.

The Airglas ski uses a fiberglass dish that's very similar to the dish on Burl's ski. It just doesn't accommodate a tire. Installation is to a bare Scott 3200 or similar fork using bungee lacing. Ask your mechanic about it. They aren't rare by any means. I use hydraulic wheel skis so a straight tail ski collects dust in my shop.

By the way, Burl now has added a new version of the Magnum ski for use with the Baby Bushwheel. Reeve has them in stock.

I'll have it figured out by days end.
    Thanks

I haven't seen a 170 that turned worth a crap on skis. Might spring for some ski brakes. http://www.lakecountrylodge.com/index.html#/products/
    Or sell your Aero's and get these http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/3369602701.html

I haven't seen a 170 that turned worth a crap on skis
    I really havent seen a 170 that turned worth a crap on anything! It almost seems like a penetration tailwheel ski would help more than just a dish dragging on the ice if turning (on packed snow,ice) was your biggest concern. I know I would love to have brakes on my skis just for turning.

A straight tail ski allows you to turn easily with a blast of throttle on a deflected rudder.

Ski brakes are great on ice but near worthless on anything else. Maybe slightly effective on glazed hard pack. No effect at all on most snow conditions. I know guys who split the hydraulics on wheel skis so they can select one wheel down to help them turn in the snow. I never did it myself but I've wished for it a few times.

Mr.PID, did you ever fly out of Fairbanks on straight skis?

Nope. My plane lives at Lake Hood.

Fairbanks is pretty much just ice all winter on the east ramp.

Most popular winter ops areas are ice all winter. Even away from town most of us groom our "strips" and those ultimately settle and melt into hard surfaces. It's better than dealing with drifts and frozen-in snowmachine tracks.

The skis in the craigslist ad were mine for the past 17 years until about 2 months ago (I am not the seller). I installed those Novak brakes long ago after a spring weekend on Iliamna area lake ice like in that ski brake demo video. They haven't seen the snow for better than 10 years. I prefer hydraulic wheel skis. Dealing with Lake Hood's freeze-thaw cycles wore me out.