Thread: stolen in Juneau

Default stolen in Juneau

I just moved to Juneau a couple weeks ago, and Ive been fishing a few times out at false outer point. I always throw my King pole, and reel in the back seat of my extended cab pickup. I haven't been locking my doors consistantly since Ive been here like I would back in Wasilla, and wouldn't you know it somebody opened my door, and made off with an $80 Ugly stick heavy action 8"6, and a $120 shimano Epixor Reel. I hope I run into someone fishing with it! Is this a problem in this town? I sure have started out here with a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone here of anyone mysteriously obtaining this combo as of late please let me know. Thanx.

I never have had any problems with anything, I lock up downtown and such
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There's a lot more petty theft in Juneau these days - the town is not what it used to be. Look after yourself and your gear - if something big gets stolen you better get it back yourself because the cops in this town are worthless when it comes to theft, burglary, or auto theft. And before somebody comes back on me I will tell you this - I like cops ! These guys are rediculous.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by G P View Post
    .....if something big gets stolen you better get it back yourself because the cops in this town are worthless when it comes to theft, burglary, or auto theft......
    Where is an auto thief going to go?

LungShot,
    I was contemplating this and I can't help but wonder...what if you find someone fishing with your gear, and you demand it back. Then he says it's his, then the cops come. Can you prove it's yours? It kinda makes me want to put my initials somewhere on the inside of my reels, and take a better inventory of my things.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by G P View Post
    There's a lot more petty theft in Juneau these days - the town is not what it used to be. Look after yourself and your gear - if something big gets stolen you better get it back yourself because the cops in this town are worthless when it comes to theft, burglary, or auto theft. And before somebody comes back on me I will tell you this - I like cops ! These guys are rediculous.
    They are pretty good at pulling over speeders and breaking up underage parties.

At any rate good luck man, thats a lame deal hopefully you can get your stuff back

"Where is an auto thief going to go?"

They joy ride them out the road and bash'm with rocks or set them on fire, run them in the water etc.. etc..

I got a vehicle stolen and had to ***** at the dispatcher to even send a cop over - no I'm not kidding! The guys that showed up acted like you were bothering them or something. Didn't even knock on a neighbor's door to ask if anybody saw anything. Nothing - in fact just got argumentative over useless.. Well - you get it. I hear this same kind of story over and over too. If you get burglarized - you better track it down yourself or you'll never see anything again.

Anchorage cops are alot better. I don't know what's wrong with this town.

I haven't been gone that long have I ??? I had my CD player stolen out of my car and the cops were very helpfull I ran into them twice checking pawns shops for it oh well I know some guys here at school that may apply for cop jobs in juneau (high demand from what I hear) they willl hopefully do a better job of police work.

Default Being Robbed

I live in Anchorage, and I was robbed twice in a week along with a few other neighbors on my street.With in a week there were 4 Robberies on 4 house,and all were done at lunch time.There were kids bragging about it in school to other kids, so there were names given to the officers and nothing was done. So you can say I was a little frustrated with APD. I've just learned to better protect my self, locking doors,alarm system,and I even had cameras mounted on my house. I Know it sounds extreme and costly,but I would rather protect my family with something, than have to worry everytime I go fishing on the weekend, if my house is going to be broken into. As painful as being robbed is, sometimes you just have to let it go and move on. Trust me there's not a day that goes by that I wish I could of been there to catch these punks, but maybe it's better I wasn't.

P.S Good luck finding that fishing pole !

Default same thing

the same thing happened to me in fairbanks both my vehicles were stolen along with thousands of dollars worth of property including my wifes wedding ring and matching anniversary earings. THE POLICE WOULDN"T DO ANYTHING We had to find them ourselves, then we had to argue with them to get them to send a police officer to investigate the scene. the worst part was at one point we actually caught these kids with someone elses stolen car from our neighborhood. We had them trapped on a fourwheeler trail, and called the police to report it. The police told us to leave them alone it was there job and we shouldn't interfere. The kids were caught that night when they were pulled over on a broken taillight in the stolen car. We had them and they made us let them go, then caught them through dumb luck. a few days later we had a kid in the highschool tell us the girlfriend of one of the thieves was bragging about her new diamond and emerald earings and rings, we told the police and they did nothing, except tell us to leave them alone. The worst part was a few weeks later the police had the gall to tell us they were glad they could get our stuff back for us! Incredible!!!!

Just for perspective I to like police, and many of my family are police oficers, in another state.

Same thing here -- the APD did nothing -- car stolen in Anchorage dumped around 76th & Lake Otis. Heard that is a popular dumping spot for car thieves or joy riders. The Anchorage police department only found the car because some landowner was mad it was outside their house and wanted it impounded. The APD did not take an inventory of items stolen, which included fishing (three rods and a tackle box) and some camping gear. I had to pressure them to list my stuff on the pawn shop listing. Nothing recovered. No one arrested. I suppose getting away with this will embolden the "punks" so they do something more bold and eventually get caught. Not sure who I was more mad at the APD or the car thieves?

Unhappy Not taught

It's epidemic. Many children today are not taught to respect anything at all- not their parents, not elders, not teachers, or even the person in the line with them or the next car over, not neighbors or the person camping next to them. As far as public or personal property other than their own is concerned; they have no value for it except what profit they can get from it ( I suspect drug money). Many don't even respect their own property because mom and dad gave them anything they wanted if they threw a nasty enough tantrum.

You still run into some nice kids, but it seems to be getting rarer. It is a worrisome thing. In order for our country to continue to exist, we will need to remediate basic human respect. Where the standards will come from, I have no idea since relativism is SOP.

Hope you get your rods back, lungshot. Eventually we'll have to go to micro-chip locaters in all our possessions just to stymie the thieves among us.

I'm only 19 and I already walk around Anchorage and Juneau and think "**** Kids" when I see most highschoolers lol

The way i see it, the only crime the APD or AST will investigate are the ones they can collect fines from. Drug busts ( big fines) or traffic tickets or fishing and hunting violations. It is all about money. they cant get money from joy riders as they call em. Theifs have no money so why go after them? Sad Sad Sad if you ask me.

Thumbs up I agree Polar bear 36

What do we do ?

Thumbs up I agree Polar bear 36

I agree with polarbear 36. From my experience when we were robbed twice, it doesn't seem like APD's main priority is robberies. I realize Anchorage is growing and there under man power supposely, but who's problem is that ? I pay my taxes, and I even USE to donate money to the police dept. If they can't catch these thugs, I guess it's only going to get worst. Just read the Anchorage News paper every week some body gets shot or shot at, and sometimes they don't even catch these kids. And a lot of times you read about the ones that do the crime are back on the streets in 24 hours. NICE SYSTEM. Pretty soon will have to rod iron are doors and windows to feel safe when we go fishing for the weekend.