Thread: New question for Bear Hunting....

Default New question for Bear Hunting....

I've always heard from this forum and from hunting friends that carrying a sidearm while bear hunting with a rifle was completely unneccessary. I always hear about the "weight" issue, or a rifle will do the job better than a revolver...so "why carry both?" I've started to leave my sidearm at home while rifle hunting for bear, or anything else for that matter. In light of the recent bear mauling, where Lynn's rifle was knocked away from him after being jumped on by mama griz, I've changed my thinking back to the way I used to think...I'm going to carry both my pistol and my rifle while out in the woods. It may sound like overkill, but if Lynn had an accessible pistol, would it have made a difference, in life or death that is? Of course we are taking his hunting partner out of the equation. For those of you who thought that 2 weapons in the field was completely unneccessary, are you going to give thought on rethinking your positions now???
    Just curious,
    Johnny

Nope, I still will only carry a rifle. I'll just let fate take me down whatever road it wants, to many what-if scenarios to even begin preparing for.

Default pistol/rifle

I have always carried my .44 with me when hunting. It's called back-up. If you really want to give yourself up to "fate" why not carry just one round of ammo in your rifle? Meaning no disrespect, but I wonder if you'd feel that way if the bear stood huffing and drooling over you a foot from your face.

I've been some situations with bears wear a scope didnt do much good (all you could see was brown), so far everything worked out good for me. Sorry if I dont go out in the field like Rambo. You folks want to go in the field with a back-up, more power to you.

Aint nothing wrong with hunting with a single-shot, oh and 99% of the time I dont hike with 1 in the chamber either.

Default Rambo

I don't believe I would be considered "Rambo" because I want to make sure I do everything I can to get home to the wife and kids every night. When I was a police officer, I always carried a backup. Does that mean I am Rambo? I could just chalk it up as fate that I got my head blown off from a bad guy because I thought I was too macho to carry an ankle holster, which may have made a difference. How about driving a car...you have your manual brakes, and you have your emergency brake. Do you disconnect the emergency brake because if your primary brakes fail, then that is fate? Or one that I can constantly deal with. As a skydiver, do you think I would disconnect my Reserve parachute, thinking that if my main failed, "oh well, its fate..and I'm too macho to go for my reserve". I know that this may be too much of a stretch, but I think that I will make every reasonable effort to go home every night. I owe it to the wife and kids.
    Johnny
    P.S. I'm not trying to shove this down anyone's throat... to each their own. But, I'm not going to go easy.

Guys, didnt mean to pee in anybodies wheaties and hurt any feelings.

Skydiver, there is nothing wrong with a back-up, if someone WANTS to carry one. As for being a cop, I hope back-ups are mandatory since you will have a better chance to get into a bad situation on the street than in the woods. Same as jumping, I've seen a few Marines in my unit have to cut from the main and go to the reserve (one guy still hit the ground hard and it was a long drive to the hospital with him, he was OK)

I will say it again, if someone wants to carry a back-up more power to them. I just dont spend my time worrying about it, if that was the case I should have an ambulance follow me wherever I drive in anchorage, cuz of the way the knuckleheads here drive here.

OK, I shouldnt have used Rambo as a term, I just have visions of 1 guy I seen up near chicken and he had 2 revolvers and his rifle. I had to laugh at that one.

Default to each his own

I almost never carry a handgun when I'm hunting. Once in awhile I'll take one to the bear stand, but generally I don't worry about it. I figure the six gun is for when I'm fishing and don't want to have the hassle of carrying a rifle with my fishing pole.

Does it really matter what someone esle carries? When hunting alone a little "insurance" is practical, provided they have the ability to pack the extra few pounds. Myself I'm usually lacking enough dry socks,,,,

Well I would carry both. The reason is a pistol is so much faster to draw and fire than a rifle. If a rifle is on your shoulder on a sling and your pistol is in the holster. We both have a race to see who is quicker to get rounds in a target 10 yards away. Pistol will put 5 rounds in the target before the rifle gets one in the target. If multiple targets or multiple bears attack at once, you need the ability to move quick and a pistol is so much easier to move from one spot to another than a rifle. If it is up close and personal, pistol wins all the time.

Tent, same thing goes for sleeping in a tent. Well I sleep in a bivy shelter and there is not much room at all. So a pistol is more practical in the tent as well. Just my .02

Default Handgun carry

Well, I carry when I feel the need, usually when alone. If with a partner I TRUST, I usually don't. I do carry a handgun 99% of the time anyway, so it isn't as it is a "status" symbol or unique to me.

I get a kick out of what upsets some folks on here, and not just this discussion. The qustion was asked if you carry a handgun as a backup. If you don't, then fine. If you do, then fine. But, don't get upset with someone elses choice, as it paints you as a retard sometimes. ( The "you" I am talking about is no one in particular, so don't get upset ).

Bottom line, IN MY OPINION, if you are comfortable carrying one even with a rifle, then by all means, carry it. If not, leave it at home. And amen on the dry socks!!!!!!

Yeah, 2 revolvers AND a rifle is a bit much, even in bear country.

I never hunt in bear country with a scope more than 3X because of the difficulty in using it at close range. If I am hunting bear, I have a 1.5 X 4 Leupold on my rifles, and constantly ensure it is cranked down as low as it can go, if I even take a scoped rifle. I have a .375 that has open sights, but my eyes are aging, and scopes are looking better and better all the time........ They say the eyesight is the second thing to go, but I'm not so sure.....
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???