Thread: Sept. 2013 Non-Resident Moose Hunt Unit 19B...HELP!!!

Default Sept. 2013 Non-Resident Moose Hunt Unit 19B...HELP!!!

Hi everyone, I am new here and must say this is a very informative website. I have found general questions as for my plans, but what I need are more specifics. I am planning a DIY spike hunt with my buddy that introduced me to hunting a few years ago. I am currently in Afghanistan and can't be making phone calls, so am just doing as much research as possible online. For starters, I found an operator for a fly-in hunt to GMU 19b/17b (after reading the AKFG rules and regs book I am leaning more towards 19b). The operator is Rust’s Flying Service out of Anchorage, does anyone have any experience with them? Since I have never been on a spike hunt before, any tips that you all can offer will be great. In regards to gear, I have most of the gear I should need, and I have been reading on this forum and other sites as to what type of gear in general to bring. Since I have not found anything specific for GMU 19B, please let me know what type of conditions I should be planning for, I think its mostly marshy and or river. One specific gear question I have was in regards to tents, I was thinking about the Coleman-Sundome-6-Person-Green-10-Feet will this suffice for the weather?...both me and my buddy are in good shape and dont mind hiking for a bit, but as I understand, moose is not something you want to be hiking with for too long, so if you guys have any good spots that you don't mind sharing that would be great. Also, how many days should we allot for the whole trip. I am leaning towards spending the entire 15 days in the bush, but that depends on my friend, and how many days should we allow for the front and back end of the trip? Now since I am the optimistic kind of guy, I am not leaving unless I bag a moose with 4 brow tines or time runs out, so I need to know in general how much average to expect to pay the butcher to have the meat prepared and shipped?

These questions are just the tip of the iceberg, and since I have almost a year before the hunt, you will be hearing more from me...Thanks in advance for all your help...appriciate it..

Russ has a catchy radio ad I know that much. I would dump that tent idea and look at getting a cabelas tent! My suggestion get your post count up and pm some of the individuals that have done this hunt into 17/19 and pick there brain. You be surprised majority of us have never been to unit 17 or 19.. Hell this yr was alot folks first time ever hunting in unit 13...

Good to go, in doing more tent research am learning that you are right in regards to the tents, I will probably be purchasing the Cabela's
    Alaskan Guide® Geodesic Tent
    ...will be going for the 6 man tent so we can stand in it. thanks for the tip.

I would suggest that you employ Mike Strahan's services for your first trip. He is the owner if this site and has a consulting service Lost Creek Company, He is also the author of Hunting alaska wild rivers. http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lo...pany/Home.html

You can't go wrong.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Re: Sept. 2013 Non-Resident Moose Hunt Unit 19B...HELP!!!

+1 on the Cabelas tent. You will be looking at 500 lbs+ of game meat. Figure roughly $1/lb for cut and wrap.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

In doing more digging around on the internet, I have another question, perhaps some of you can answer...Unit 19 B has a restriction of not hunting less than 2 miles from some of the rivers out there, this will require hike of at least 2 miles to set up camp if we get dropped off on one of these rivers, don't mind the hike, but just curious of how secluded it will be (the more the better) and what the game density is like in that unit? I will be sending an email to the ADFG to see if they have an answer as well...

Thanks for the advices so far...keep them coming please...