Thread: Lake Louis

Default Lake Louis

I'm thinking of putting my boat into Lake Louis this year and was wondering if anybody could tell me what they know about it? Access, weather trends, depth, hazards, wildlife, etc.

Thanks

Default Lake Louise

You can access the lake at 2 places. One is the state campground and the other is at the end of the road at Dinty lake. This is a public free launch I believe. I always use the campground because this is where we stay.
    Known hazards in the lake are shallow shoals and reefs where you would least expect them. Be careful around and especially between the islands. Long shallow rocky points can run out from them for quite a distance. Also extremely shallow water at the south end in front of the bluffs and also on the north end out in front of the channel to Lake Susitna.
    As far as weather---it can be absolutely beautiful in the mornings, but it is very common for the wind to come up in the afternoon, making the lake very rough and at times dangerous depending what type of boat you are using.
    I have been fishing Lake Louise for over 15 years and it is one of my favorite places. Took a long time to figure out how to catch those elusive lakers, but lots of time and patience finally paid off.
    Good idea to maybe stop in Wolverine Lodge and ask Tree Farmer a few questions if you go up. He is always friendly and willing to help.
    PM me if I can answer any more questions.

Thumbs up

Shallow at the edges ~ especially around the launch, the outlet to Lake Susitna & the resorts ~ but its deep in the center of the lake. The north end is sandy & the south end is rocky. Great lake trout fishing in the fall as the lakers start to move around & spawn. Lots of whitefish in the shallow channel between Louise & Susitna. Stay up on step & in the center of the channel to get into Susitna. You'll get a lot of whitecaps on Louise when the wind blows. There are a few moose & grizzlies to be seen in the area, but there is a ton of caribou that pass thru the area in the fall if you can get a freakin permit! The Tyone River is very shallow, but you can go all the way up to the big Su with a jet boat & there is great grayling fishing in the Tyone River wherever there is a small creek that dumps into the river. There is a lot of grass in Tyone Lake that likes to foul your prop or plug your jet. It's alot of work to get there but it is a blast going up to the Tyone River.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Shallow at the edges ~ especially around the launch, the outlet to Lake Susitna & the resorts ~ but its deep in the center of the lake. The north end is sandy & the south end is rocky. Great lake trout fishing in the fall as the lakers start to move around & spawn. Lots of whitefish in the shallow channel between Louise & Susitna. Stay up on step & in the center of the channel to get into Susitna. You'll get a lot of whitecaps on Louise when the wind blows. There are a few moose & grizzlies to be seen in the area, but there is a ton of caribou that pass thru the area in the fall if you can get a freakin permit! The Tyone River is very shallow, but you can go all the way up to the big Su with a jet boat & there is great grayling fishing in the Tyone River wherever there is a small creek that dumps into the river. There is a lot of grass in Tyone Lake that likes to foul your prop or plug your jet. It's alot of work to get there but it is a blast going up to the Tyone River.

Bou permit only if you make less than $51 k a year!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Be careful near Tyone outlet after the slough. Starting near the newer cabin. There are ROCKS. Bigguns too. Before the left turn there is also a gravel bar that is shallow.

On Lake Louise watch for the shoal with the orange markers. It extends out quite a ways. If you stick to the laft side heading towards Susitna it will pass to your right.

Mike

Can you run from Lake Louise to the Maclaren bridge?