Thread: Is there a trail with little mud?

Default Is there a trail with little mud?

Does anyone know of any good trail rides close to Anchorage with the least amount of mud this time of year. Dont mind some, but so far the mudfests I have been on have not been very appealing. I am use to riding in the rocks and hills of South Dakota. Preferably scenic rides but can be pretty technical as well.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Cory, go down and hit bird creek. Usually only 1 spot becomes a bottomless pit, the rest is usually dry. Was down there last weekend and still some snow covering the trail but it was hardpacked.

Cory, was just out at Eklutna Lakeside trail. No mud, great views if you are wanting to get some shots. Snow about 9 miles back turned to 2 feet of surgar so we couldn't get clear to the end. You can only ride machines Sun-Wed. EricL

Thanks Blink. I think I am going to take my son out this afternoon and give that a shot. Where is the trailhead?

Erik, I had a friend tell me about Eklutna as well. I may go check that out tommorow. Are you up for a ride with your new machine? I wouldnt mind doing some photography back there.

Cory,

When you cross over bird creek, you will have that gas station on your left. Its like 2 streets past that is the road. On the corner is bird automotive or something like that. Just follow the dirt road and it deadheads at the trailhead.

I am probably be going out tomorrow if i get some things done around the house. There are some great areas at Eklutna if you can pick the perfect day. While it may be sunny at the trail head, it will cloud up quick near the glacier. We'll have to hook up some time!! Bird Creek is good too. You can get into some deep holes in some places so be ready. EricL

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    I am probably be going out tomorrow if i get some things done around the house. There are some great areas at Eklutna if you can pick the perfect day. While it may be sunny at the trail head, it will cloud up quick near the glacier. We'll have to hook up some time!! Bird Creek is good too. You can get into some deep holes in some places so be ready. EricL
    Eric, Can you ride all the way up to the glacier in Eklutna?

Default Eklutna

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Can you ride all the way up to the glacier in Eklutna?
    Nope -- you ride, walk, for 13 miles or so by the lake. The ATV trail, bike bath, etc, all ends about 5 miles from the glacier... it's a fairly easy hike - although I doubt you'll make it on your wheeler to the end of the trail this time of year.

Spring time - watch for bears on the hillside near the end of the ATV trail. Managed a few decent pix while relaxing on my wheeler with the family.

Talking Try Fort Rich

Cory, I know you can ride Fort Rich since your military. Only thing is you have to have all your PPE on in oder to ride. But they do have tons of area you can explore. Also, some of us are talking about Kings River on Sunday. Should be much like Eklutna as far as snow and mud I would think.