Thread: I Have Given It Much Thought

Default I Have Given It Much Thought

Well, I have given it a lot of thought, in fact I could not sleep last without getting up two times and thinking about all that was said on the two threads I started and especially the thread on developing a close up load on dangerous game with the 30-06. It might be my age or that I am a died in the wool American and loved showing foreigners how well the 30-06 killed game before their very eyes or just a nostalgic old fashion guy who likes the excitement and loves to shoot the 30-06. For so many years since I owned my first 06 as a teenager, I have watch my 06’s dispatch for me coyotes to the big ones and some up close stuff that made me draw up in places I can’t talk about. It has and I say has never failed me. May be it is because I was lucky at times or just used the right bullet or was a fair shot and hit the right place or the Lord was just good to me.
    When men like Warren Page, R.M. Hanson, Jim Stewart, Hosea Sarber, Grancel Fitz, Wendell Swank, Dr. George Petrides (who took everything from kob, wart hogs, hartebeest, lion, buffalo and hippo) Andy Russell, Myles Brown, Frank Golata, Alf Madsen, Jay Williams, Bill Rae and Bill Ruger also Stewart Edward White (who used it on lion), Fred Barnes, Colonel Whelen used the 06 for just about everything and all but a few of the above mention men used the 06 as the rifle of choice in the field. Jack O’Connor said that much of the criticism of the 30-06 stems from the use of unsuitable bullets for the job at hand and if used on brown bear use a heaverier bullet than the 180gr of proper construction.
    Many things were said and much advice was given on my last thread and I am sure there are those who just can not accept my position on the 30-06. Nitroman and AlaskaCub had good points and I respect them for their opinions that have come from the field.
    Well at this point after sleeping on it I am just going to bit the bullet and develop in my Kimber 8400 a 30-06 load using either a 220gr or 240gr bullet and if the bear eats me because I don't have enough gun, then I will meet my hunting friends in the after life knowing I had a lot of fun hunting through the years with lots of excitement. Yes, I believe in the 30-06 and it’s ability considering it’s wide range of power, it's sufficient flat trajectory, unquestioned accuracy, reasonable recoil and unusually broad variety of bullet choices and the fact that it is the world’s most versatile center-fire cartridge ever developed. With all the new powders, bullets and especially new light match grade rifles of today, I find it very questionable as to whether we can name any standard caliber or cartridge which is more versatile or better suited when all things are weighed to meet the requirements of a majority of American riflemen and hunters. When I have traveled and people ask me what are you using on this hunt and I say the 30-06 they have always said, “good choice.” If God is willing and I get to Alaska on a gizz hunt, beartooth (Mike) will be among the rest of the names who have used the 30-06 on the BIG BEAR whether it will be up close or far. ☺
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'd do it. Perhaps differently, but then that's the fun of it. Heck I'd do it with a .264 caliber bullet (but don't tell anyone I said so).

At the end of the day (or the middle of the night) it is about sleeping peacefully in our bed the night before, the night after, and on the fluffly white clouds above.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

This is the 100% correct choice for you. The gun you trust and are most competant with is the best choice.

You are on the right track. Develop your load for your rifle and shoot you a bear. Don't worry about what everybody else thinks. You are right in that plenty of people throughout the years have killed plenty of bears with the 30/06.... heck there's been a bunch killed with the 30-30. I just carry a .300 Wtby and more recently a .375 RUM because I'm, like many others, very insecure!

- Clint

Dude.... take a deep breath rest your mind and go hunt whatever it is you desire. When I first moved to Alaska all I had was a 30-06, by way of big game rifles. Money was tight and buying hunting gear wasn't happening. I had every guy I had met up to that point tell me that a 338WM was the minimum caliber I should use up here and that the 375 H&H would be my best choice. I looked at the prices of those guns and went "okay thats not gonna happen!" So I bought some quality A-Frame 180 grain loads and with that gun I killed a 63" bull a couple black bear and never looked back. I did cross a few grizzly tracks from time to time that made me feel a little undergunned but all was good. I think your terminology "up close" doesn't actually sound liek what you are actually going to be doing. If you are just hunting bears then the old 06 will do just fine. If your gonna back up a buddy on asouthern brown bear hunt then yes you might not have the most appropriate tool. Rest easy, you'll do fine.

A friend of mine shot his 9-footer at 12 yards with a .30-06. Not something I would volunteer for, but I can't argue with his success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    A friend of mine shot his 9-footer at 12 yards with a .30-06. Not something I would volunteer for, but I can't argue with his success.
    Hey, Dan in Alaska, do you know the make and model of rifle he used and the bullet and load he used and if you don't is it possible for you to find out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Hey, Dan in Alaska, do you know the make and model of rifle he used and the bullet and load he used and if you don't is it possible for you to find out.
    He used an old Savage 110 his father gave him. He used 220gr factory loads, but I don't know the particular flavor. I doubt they were anything fancy like Partitions or A-Frames......knowing Bill, I'm sure they were more like Winchester Powerpoints or Remington Core-Lokts.

Like I said before, I wouldn't want to do it this way (too much pucker-factor for me), but I can't argue with his success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    He used an old Savage 110 his father gave him. He used 220gr factory loads, but I don't know the particular flavor. I doubt they were anything fancy like Partitions or A-Frames......knowing Bill, I'm sure they were more like Winchester Powerpoints or Remington Core-Lokts.

Like I said before, I wouldn't want to do it this way (too much pucker-factor for me), but I can't argue with his success.
    Thanks, it probably was Core-Lokts, they have dispatch a lot of stuff through the years.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS