Thread: River fishing Near Denali

Default River fishing Near Denali

hello all, I'll be going to alaska to meet up with 2 friends july 4th for my first time with my girlfriend.

I will be taking my fly rod and was wondering where to catch the rainbow/any fish.

One of my friends is going to be a raft guide down the neenan river is there any good fishin around there? We are willing to travel either anchorage or fairbanks.

any info on catching fish would be awesome!

thanks

kyle

Default Travel you will be doing

No Rainbow Trout near or in the Nenana. D Hwgy access is in Cantwell for Grayling and Dolly. Trout you will have to look to the Chulitna System East Fork and Middle Fork. Salmon will be in the system during that time frame
    (Bears) will be fishing as well.

Suggest a short trip and any culvert / lake the first 30 miles on the D hwgy.

Tight Lines!

PM me if you want additional info.

Blue Moose

For the best Rainbows, I suggest you travel south to Byers Creek. Lots of good fly fishing there. Up or down from the Parks Hwy is ok. Bears there as well. Make lots of noise when fishing. It helps tell the bears of your presence. No suprises for either of you that way.

fish dries in clearwater, catch grayling. Take a jet boat to clear creek and fish nymphs and dries for bows, plus you can catch kings there. Also the middle fork of the chulitna might be awesome that time of year
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Check your pms

i gave you some info check your pms

thanks a lot!

are there any fly shops in or around Healy?

What are some good methods fishing for grayling? are they good eatin?

fish grayling with floating flies, and they are quite tasty but very suseptable to over fishing, limit your take...

Quote Originally Posted by sbkg View Post
    thanks a lot!

are there any fly shops in or around Healy?

Yup there is one in the tourist trap area very near Denali national park.

What are some good methods fishing for grayling? are they good eatin?
    Dry fly fishing and nymphing work great! I like a 2wt. for Grayling. They are dang tasty as long as you eat them immediately! I usually have a hot pan next too the river and start cooking as soon as I get them cleaned, ie still flopping! They don't store well at all. AKPM is right they are sensitive little fish try not to hammer them too hard.

so what are the wading conditions like at clear creek and byers creek? Is it mainly shallow with deep holes? sand or rock bottom?

Cleer Creek has lots of bear trails to follow on the bank, byers creek was toughish for me. Clear Creek is pretty much awesome if you walk about a mile and a half upstream. Rocky bottom shallow with medium holes, fish the pools for grayling the riffles for rainbows

Both are free stone/gravel bottomed streams, around that time of year you'll see mostly caddis fly hatches with a few may flys mixed in. Wading isn't a big deal, easily done in hip boots just watch your footing! And be bear aware.

how cold is the water around the first part of july? I'll be backpackin so bring waders is outta the question.

Does anyone know of a good river map of alaska i could purchase? or even a good road map?

Default cold water

the rivers will be cold. I backpack all the time with waders. I use breathable stocking foot waders and light wading boots bring a pair of breathable stocking foot hips with a light pair of wading boots. Cabelas has a pair for 35 bucks. As far as fishing for grayling use barbless hooks practise C&R as much as possible keep only what you are going to eat for that day. I use tan elk hair caddis tan humpies, size 14 adams, tan and grizzly wooly worms with red tails, and brassie nymphs i like red tails on my nymphs. also a lot of grifith gnats.

I'm likeing the sound of Clear Creek. So I guess my next question is what is the best way to get to it? Fly or take a jet boat? whats cheaper? and which companys should i look into? even if there are any private flyers out there who would charted me and a few friends to the spot that would be awesome!!