Thread: 07 caribou hunt

Default 07 caribou hunt

Im about to book a hunt for the second week in aug. for caribou. I think the outfitter is a good one with alot a caribou, but my only concern is the time of year. I realize they will still be in velvet, but are their antlers fully grown for the most part? Has anyone hunted this early? Thanks

Last year we hunted the second week of August and their antlers were still growing, but not much. We saw plenty of full grown bulls. Enjoy your hunt!

I second that... I'd say they're just about completely full grown... the difference between then and when they shed their velvet will be minimal.

Curious though... what unit are you headed to?

unit 26 The way i understand it from the guide this is where the heard starts their migration and thats why the first few weeks in aug. are the best, but thats just what he told me.

Default early bou

I haven't hunted that area, but I do try to do my caribou hunting before moose season. The biggest one I ever killed was on August 16th. Still in velvet, but just beginning to poke through on some of the tips. Very nice rack that is mounted over my dining room table now. One sure thing about August caribou is that they will be good eating.

I was told they would soak the rack in a formaldehyde solution and the velvet would dry hard as a rock, this would be great. Anyone know?

Default careful with that

I've seen mixed results trying to mount a rack in velvet. Some turn out OK, others just don't last and end up having to be re-done. I chose to strip the velvet off of mine and had it stained to look natural. It turned out great.

i've seen them inject it with the sauce, but never soak them. striping them and staining them does come out really nice.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I tried the formaldehyde thing.What I did was used syringes and injected the formaldehyde just under the velvet,it worked in some areasbut I noticed that mostly what it did was bubble the velvet up and this caused it to open up or actually pull off from the antler itself.
    What I figured was since I shot it Aug 28th the velvet was way thin and he was about to lose the velvet hence the reason why It was bubbling up the velvet,so I what I did now was take the rack down by the creek and stripped it,and where it was bloody I left that portion in thewater and rubbed it with sand which got rid of the blood before it stained the antler.....long story short durning half time on Monday night football I stained it in the living room and it came out beautifully,even my Taxidermist was impressed and got a tip or two from me Daniel

The taxidermist I use suggested it was best for me to strip any velvet off the antlers and bring the rack to him that way. If I wanted a "in velvet" mount, he can apply something with a spray can that can't be told from the real thing.

Ask your taxidermist if he is familiar with this.

Well lucky me my old man is a taxidermist! But i get two bou's with this hunt and if he can soak one of them and make the velvet stay on it would be alot easier and i would strip the other. Thats ina perfect world were I shoot two nice BULLS!!!

I've had several racks in velvet done by Arctic Fox in Wasilla and Still's Valley in Eagle River and each and every one of them have turned out perfect. There's something about that velvet that really makes the rack that much better looking (no matter if its a trophy or not!). I'd recommend at least having one kept in velvet, I'm glad I kept some of mine that way.

Good Luck!

Default Velvet antlers

Iv'e had two racks done that were in velvet. Both were injected with formaldihyde. First set came out perfect and looks great on the wall. I agree about a good rack in velvet, they keep their mass throughout the antler. The second set didn't take for whatever reason (I think it was the taxidermists wife that injected this set and didn't do as thorough a job), so we went with the spray on velvet that is suppose to look as good as the real thing. Nope...looks lame and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Problem was after the preserve didn't take the rack was too long gone to strip and stain.

I was told later that if a set of antlers is to be injected with a preservative, it must be done immediately upon returning from the field. After injection you need to hang them so the blood that is still in there can drip out. I was told to poke holes in the tips and hang them.

Anyway, tried with two sets and only one set came out. Just wanted to share my experience.