Thread: Double to square

Default Double to square

Not many canoes around here took four years to find the one I have now 15' Coleman. So has anyone here done a butt transplant chopping off the rear and put in a square transom on a double ender. Can wood be sealed to RamX?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

In my research of canoes, one manufacture stated on their site, that any double ender they made, could be made into a square stern. So possibly, yes I think it can be done.

IF I was to do it. I think I would cut the canoe 2" longer than I want. Then make an inside plywood transom that fits tight as possible. Then place it 2" in, at the length I want. Heat the remaining 2" to a pliable state and fold it over the transom at 90 degrees. Then make an outside transom, and bold the whole thing together sandwiching the 2" overlap material between the two transom pieces, bolts going through all three. Of course sealing as I go. Make sense?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks Dave I think your idea just might work.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo, you know very well that I've always wanted to come visit yah down there. I don't get enough salt water time. Sell a gun, and buy your materials. (fiberglass/resin). The shipping will be fair. We could put together a one-time use mold to get a boat built, all from materials you can get from the hardware store. Cheap, and effective. It's the cheapest way to get precisely what you want. Gunwales, yokes, seat and thwarts can be made of cheap materials. Another thing about this route, is that you can buy as you can afford to. One month could be fiberglass, the other month could be mold building material, and finally, the next month could be all the finishin "fixins". Keep an eye out on the classifieds for used lumber, and old hardwood molding.....you can use that stuff for mold work and hardood molding can be cut for gunwales! Find a local lumber mill, and keep it cheap. Yah don't need fancy hardwoods, birch would even suffice. A 9.9 horse outboard (used) would keep the whole package very cheap. Just a thought

Thanks Mike but projects don't seem to be my thing the last few years plus no room. Its still looking like the native canoe trip will be to Wrangell this coming May to rededicate Chief Shakes Island and you will be welcome here.

What do you use to patch a Coleman Canoe?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    What do you use to patch a Coleman Canoe?
    A FOR SALE sign!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

it would be better if you just go out an get a canoe of the type you want , I think you would save what hair you have left on you head ,
    don't think you could get a good seal that would hold over time , it might hold for a couple of trips but it would fail at the point farest
    from the car / TK , [ long walk / swim ] my 2 cts
    SID

In Wrangell you can't just go get what you want which is part of the beauty of the place.Thats why it took four years just to find this coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    In Wrangell you can't just go get what you want which is part of the beauty of the place.Thats why it took four years just to find this coleman.
    Is it not possible to get a quote to have a Scott Albany or Hudson Bay sent your way? Shipping costs would probably elipse the purchase cost though? :-(

A nice big canoe like that would get you out and back in style (still for cheap gas wise & maintenance wise) plus you can haul a ton of crap with you that makes your life afield much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A FOR SALE sign!
    Well I guess that would work but this one is 50 miles from anywhere.....
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Well I guess that would work but this one is 50 miles from anywhere.....
    Add extra duct tape.

I have a side mount on it now that works.Just thinking cut off a couple feet and make it lighter and it will still haul enough for me.I'm not going to be shooting moose or elk as I don't need the work involved.I have been passing on the same two elk now for three years and think I enjoy watching them much more than packing them.

mit (Tim) you must be referring to a deadman lake project. You can use a marine epoxy (like the new west sys. flex) over a glass or composite weave (if the hole is large). The trick to getting it to stick is, heating up the surface of the Coleman with a propane torch to break the slippery surface structure down to a rough surface you can get something to adhere to. Try this link and there are others out there .... .http://www.westsystem.com/ss/molded-...-boat-repairs/

Amigo Will, I would not recommend cutting down a Coleman polyethylene boat. You would probably destroy the canoe before you could get a square stern installation to work. Polyethylene is not pleasant to work with (after it is molded) it will greatly resist your efforts to change its shape and form.