Thread: The next canoe

Default The next canoe

I'm curious what your next canoe will look like. I know all of us have different needs, goals and aspirations so I would expect no similar answer.

If I'm lucky enough to buy another canoe one day I think it will be a Hornbeck blackjack 12 footer for soloing the Kenai canoe trails in my old age. Today is my birthday, 58 years old where did the time go.

So what have you been dreaming about my Alaskan friends...

I really want an old towne camper. 15 footer, they look so cool and are light weight but kinda spendy.
    "f/64 and be there"

I would like to swap my double ender for a square stern but can live with what I have. I did just buy a 14' Lund with 20hp 2 stroke to pull my canoe crossing the bigger water. Did just think of a new thread to start.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I had a Old Town Pack for a number of years. It was a great solo canoe 11'?". About 32 pounds made it easy to portage. I could paddle it fairly easy but it is a little broad per length but worked. A kayak paddle works well too. I loved it for frog hunting pond to pond.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, how did you carry that canoe pond to pond?

The 17.5 Muskrat will be my next hunting canoe. It's going to be a killer moose boat. Since the dimensions are a bit smaller, I won't have to use a heavy cloth. This thing is going to fix every single problem I've ever had with any square stern canoe in the 17 ft. range. No more taking two trips for big fat moosey and camp. ONE TRIP moose camp, but still small enough for the tiniest creeks.

I can't ditch the 17 footers, I cut my teeth with em.

I want an OT Pack, but the desire to spend time on the local canoe trails with my 9 yr old son says a 50# 17' makes more sense. Which one? The one I find a good deal on used!
    Would like a freighter but it's #3 on the list because I believe it will get used the least.
    Mainer, tell me about the Muskrat. Where can I get info.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I own a Wenonah Escape and love it! Light weight for its size(54lbs at 17.5ft) and can haul some gear. It is a kevlar flex core so it will not be going down any rocky rivers but is great when portaging from lake to lake and paddles effortlessly. I have been looking at the wenonah fusion as the next canoe as I have been wanting a solo canoe for awhile and it looks like it might do the trick. it is only 46lbs in royalex and has an optional rudder system that could be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I want an OT Pack, but the desire to spend time on the local canoe trails with my 9 yr old son says a 50# 17' makes more sense. Which one? The one I find a good deal on used!
    Would like a freighter but it's #3 on the list because I believe it will get used the least.
    Mainer, tell me about the Muskrat. Where can I get info.
    I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I sent you a pm.
    interested as well.. this fiberglass??

what am I doing thinking 24/7 about next years moose hunt.. need to get out duck or lynx hunting I guess..

More to follow this spring. FM and I will probably do some ocean running with the 22 foot Alaskan Freighter, then on up some rivers. Likewise, I will be testing the Muskrat too. The Taiga Creek is a done deal, nothing more needed. Will get some duck hunters together at rabbit slough for testing the muskrat. It will be announced on the duck forum for dates of the test run.

Anyhow, The muskrat has left the drawing board and is being crafted into a mold after the holidays. It's a 17.5 ft x 48 inch wide duck boat/moose boat. We'll be welding up the custom canoe carrier this winter as well. The canoe carrier will utilize components of the snow bike, for example: The fat tires and forks. For the guys that go to duck lake, this is for them. In my experience thus far, the snow bike tires are crazy-strong. They role over rough terrain much easier too. The heavy duty muskrat canoe carrier will break down for storage, and deploy easily. The muskrat only comes in one color: olive drab inside and out. This is the only model that will come with oil finished gunwales/seats that have been stained a bit darker, as well as olive drab mountaineering webbing for the four seats. All seats will be removable without tools.

I didn't want to build this smaller model, but then, I need a canoe that runs better with a smaller surface drive. Hence the wider transom, uhmw armor, and the flat bottom/minimal rocker that distinguishes this Muskrat from others canoes.

I have a paddle supplier that will build my custom stand-up paddles too by the way. We'll get the prototypes built before Jan 1st. I'm working on the website as we speak, accessories......all that crazy stuff. Stay tuned..................