Thread: Quartz Lake State Park???????

Default Quartz Lake State Park???????

I offer this up for discussion.....

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-lake?page=0,3
    Tim

You gotta be kidding! This guy wants to enlarge the state park at quartz to include the shaw creek flats so motorized craft will be controlled. He just so happens to have a cabin on quartz. How self-serving. I know a few of those people that have cabins in that area and that is the last thing they want is more state park designation. This guy claims the airboats are damaging the beaver habitat?? Beavers are one of the most prolific animals in the wilds. They have the ability to adapt to almost any condition. I hardly think an airboat running over a beaver dam is going to do any long term damage to the beaver population. In my opinion, this guy is way out there on the left.

Guy is worried about damage to the ecology so lock up the area. Totally ignore HIS cabin, HIS yard, HIS boatdock. When he burns down his cabin, tears out the dock, replants the yard and driveway in natural foliage - I won't call him a NIBYer. Till then he is.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Guy is worried about damage to the ecology so lock up the area. Totally ignore HIS cabin, HIS yard, HIS boatdock. When he burns down his cabin, tears out the dock, replants the yard and driveway in natural foliage - I won't call him a NIBYer. Till then he is.
    Mike
    Because he has long term roots there, is intimate with the area and the damage being done to it, you conveniently dismiss him as a "NIMBY". However, if he was not from here / had no connection to the area, you would no doubt conveniently dismiss him as an "Outsider" "trying to tell us what to do", no? Would there be anyone who could express concern about ecological damage to any given area in Alaska that you would view as legitimate?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Because he has long term roots there, is intimate with the area and the damage being done to it, you conveniently dismiss him as a "NIMBY". However, if he was not from here / had no connection to the area, you would no doubt conveniently dismiss him as an "Outsider" "trying to tell us what to do", no? Would there be anyone who could express concern about ecological damage to any given area in Alaska that you would view as legitimate?
    Darn it Taiga! There is no place on this forum for articulate intelligent argument, so unless you can master the "arts" of gainsaying, contradiction and knee-jerk objection just pipe down, wouldja.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Doesn't matter how old his roots are. If he is complaining about the "ecology" of an area being changed by people's actions and he has a building there - he is, by definition, a NIMBYer and a hypocrite.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

And if he did not have a cabin on the lake? What then?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Answer me this as well, if I want to emphasize the word ""ecology"" as an enigma in a reply to this thread, do I use double quotes to be respectful to its origins herein ??

I would prefer listening to someone express their concerns when they are not discussing their back yard. They tend to have more rational discussions and not spit and sputter as much. Much more pleasant.
    I need to apologize for using the word ecology. Both of the terms ecology and environment, in their current usage, are mis-used to imply a static condition. Nature and the natural world have never been static. How you use these terms is key in determining if you are a preservationist or a conservationist.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

I have only met one guy in my entire 65 years that used these terms ("ecology and environment") to imply a static reality, and only then to serve so that he could label someone else as he pleased.
    Most folks well realize that nature changes, but even kids realize that does not justify pushing it over a proverbial cliff, regardless of who's backyard it is in.
    The 'backyard' is shrinking, too. - becoming very much more a 'commons'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    I would prefer listening to someone express their concerns when they are not discussing their back yard.
    Who better to speak out against destruction, than the man who sees it occurring in his own back yard?
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Who better to speak out against destruction, than the man who sees it occurring in his own back yard?
    Perhaps the man whom righteously feels it will certainly be eternally self-healing thinks he has a better grip ??

Speaking of backyards - I heard this evening again from the the horses mouth (well, perhaps that part of the anatomy) that SOA DNR MLW refuses yet to acknowledge global warming as a factor to consider when permitting large stinky, damaging projects. Surprises never cease.

I gotta go patrol the perimeter .........

While I have not to the Quartz Lake area for a number of years, I find it interesting that 'people' think that they can stop what 'mother nature' does. Yes 'maybe' people help push change, but there are lots of areas in the State that there are few if any people in things change all of the time. Take a fly over most any river drainage and one can see how the course of the river has been changed many time. I also know of some lakes that are all but swampy areas and there have been no people effect on them.
    While one might want to stop what 'mother nature' does we can not. Maybe we can slow the process but that is all. As far as damage to beaver dams, well they temd to 'rebuild' better then any man ever thought ne could. I have seen beaver dams damaged and unless the beavers were removed, the dam was rebuilt and better in a short period of time. They adapt very well.