Thread: Long Shot...but I have to try: Looking for a shed antler

Exclamation Long Shot...but I have to try: Looking for a shed antler

Only posting in the hunting forum because I know it will get viewed by folks who may be able to help.

My kids are moving out of state in the next 48 hours, and my daughter (11 yr old) came up to me and asked if she could have a tip off of the moose antlers from the bull I harvested a few years ago.

That set of horns is 360+ miles away from me and the logistics (mid-week) of getting them down here and having a tip cut off before they leave is nearly impossible.

She wants a tip of antler that she can have a hole drilled through to make a key chain out of, as a memento of Alaska and her dad.

Does anyone have a relatively new set of antlers (moose/caribou) or a small shed they wouldn't mind parting with? I can trade a six point Elk Shed from Montana.

PS. Yes I thought about just cutting a few points off the elk shed but it's not from AK...she asked.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If nothing else pans out, Alaska Fur Exchange has bins full of moose and caribou antler pieces.

I would love to help..I have a bunch off moose sheds...I am on the slope till the 8th so I dont know how to get it to you..?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    If nothing else pans out, Alaska Fur Exchange has bins full of moose and caribou antler pieces.
    Seriously just thought about that as I submitted the thread.

Thanks!

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mirage View Post
    I would love to help..I have a bunch off moose sheds...I am on the slope till the 8th so I dont know how to get it to you..?
    No worries... Thanks for the offer!

AKArcher

I have lots of sheds,, Moose caribou and cut offs.. Ill be home tonight around 545, I live in palmer.. Swing by and ill hook ya up.

If Hoytguy's offer doesn't work out, I can hook you up as well - either moose or caribou, your choice.

It is really sweet when folks lend a helping hand. What goes around comes around.......true story!
    I live in Delta so I'm to far to help you out. It sounds like hotguy is able to help you keep a childs heart feel closer to her daddy...that is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    It is really sweet when folks lend a helping hand. What goes around comes around.......true story!
    I live in Delta so I'm to far to help you out. It sounds like hotguy is able to help you keep a childs heart feel closer to her daddy...that is priceless!
    Same here.......I've got all kinds he could choose from but I'm in Soldotna and just too far for him to go. Also, "AKArcher" if anybody has any caribou bez they would offer up.....they make great souvenir back scratchers...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thank you all for your offers! I knew in the back of my mind that if I cast a call out to the folks on this forum I would get someone who would help. I will PM all of you who offered!

Thanks again!

AKArcher

I found a beautiful shed caribou antler just the other day. Nice bull. I wish I had the other side............

I don't need it, but I don't want to pay to ship it. I'm in Mat-Su. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll give you a phone number. I can't think of anybody else who I'd prefer to give it to than a kid leaving the state.

Hurry. I'm leaving on another hunt in a few days, as soon as I fix the snowmobile and heal my aching back...........

Pm sent Brian.

AKArcher

I have a set of small caribou antlers that still have some velvet on them if it helps I live in Wasilla
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I live here in Anchorage and have a set of smaller caribou that I have no problem providing all or a piece. Let me kow if you need it.

I've got exactly what you need. I used a moose antler for the handle on the door of a smoker I built this last spring. I had to cut off a tip (approx. 3-4" long) and I'm pretty sure I still have it. If you still need one, it's all yours. PM me if you want it. I live in Chugiak.

Default Amazing response from all...

From the depths of my heart I want to thank you all who responded with offers and those who sent PM's.

I picked up a shed tonight that is amazing! The kids will be stoked! Now I just need figure out how to get it checked with Alaska Air.

AKArcher