Thread: Denali Hwy Caribou Hunt 2012

Default Denali Hwy Caribou Hunt 2012

A couple weeks ago I was sitting at my buddy Gus' place watching my Tigers whoop the Yankees in 4 games and he started talking to me about his wife Ginny had a unit 13 bull caribou hunt permit. They have 2 young kids and there babysitter couldnt babysit that weekend. So I told him I would take her. My boss wouldnt have a problem with me taking of that monday so that would give us 2 full days. Besides it extends my hunting season . I got all my gear around and left my house early saturday and met up with Gus and Ginny around 8 a.m at there place in Wasilla. Ginny and I loaded up her tahoe and after we got gas and propane we headed out. The weather was clear and sunny but the wind was blowing hard. We ended up in the Paxson area just before 2 p.m. Headed west down the Denali looking for any caribou. We saw one small bull and 3 cows in the closed area and 2 small herds of cows and calves on the north side of the road just before you drop down the hill towards the Mclaren. We came across 2 bull moose before Clearwater that were locking antlers. Drove all the way to the Clearwater area saw a couple cows and a calf right off the road and decided to set up our camp around the 50 mile marker. Woke up the next morning and started glassing. Of course it was from in the tahoe with the heat on . After glassing for awhile Ginny and I started driving slowly down the road back towards Paxson stoping and glassing every so often. Didnt see any caribou till we got back to the Tangle Lakes area. From there to Paxson we saw a bunch of people and bou in the back of trucks and trailers. One chevy pickup I saw had 3 caribou in it with one big bull. Ive seen 3 whitetails in a pickup but never 3 caribou. Ginny and I drove up the Fielding Lakes area and drove back to are campsite. Seen more caribou in the back of trucks then on foot. The next morning we go up with the same plan. Once we started down the road towards Paxson Ginny spoted a couple guys not to far off the road that conected on there bou. We got up on the plateau just after the Mclaren and started spotting some bou. One small bull in the group but way to far out to go after. We got back by the closed area and there weren't as many people as on sunday and we were seeing a lot more caribou. Saw the trooper there busting people for hunting in the closed area too. Most of the caribou we were seeing were way off by Summit Lake so we headed north up the Richardson. It was getting late when we were glassing up by Feilding Lake and about 2 miles out I spoted antlers on a small hill then seconds later 4 bulls popped over. I told Ginny this is are chance lets go. We had about 2 hours of light left. We grabbed are packs and headed after them. There was a hill we got behind were the bou wouldnt see us for most of the way. Once we got to the top of the hill I peared over and there were no caribou to be found. We walked over to where we last saw them and started following there tracks in the snow. It was maybe 150 yards of following there tracks and there the 4 bulls were less then 100yards away laying down in a hole that I hardly new was there. At first the bigger bull was laying down sleeping with his head and antlers cover the vitals so we snuck back and around the hill to get a better shot. We got into position and one of the smaller bulls saw us and they all stood up giving Ginny a perfect broadside shot at less then 100yards. She was using my trigger stick for a rest and it broke while she was putting the crosshairs on it. She had to shoot it free standing. I told her whenever you feel comfortable take him and before I got the sentence out she smoked it right in the top of both lungs. It walked a couple yards and turned broadside again so I had her put another one in it and she hit it right in the heart and dropped it. She was using a .257 Weatherby not sure the grain. It was her second caribou she has shot but definetly the biggest one. The bou had a couple broken tines and his body was all bruised up from fighting but didnt smell gamie at all and the meat tastes really good. After we got the bou all cut up we loaded are packs. Ginny taking the hide, head, and antlers and I took all the meat. 2 miles back to the road in the dark. I weighed my pack when we got back and it was 174lbs and Ginny's was 72lbs. The weather was beautiful the whole time but chilly reaching -10 sunday night. Nothing good gear cant handle .

Just want to say congrats to all the people that got bou and enjoyed this hunt I saw a lot of smiling face's and the best of all was seeing some of the young kids that shot caribou.

Check out the video I put together. My girlfriend and I just bought a new Canon camera. Takes great pics and HD video. This is the first time I used it to video and the first video I ever put together. Hope ya'll like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JKAW98zlw

174# pack, 2 miles, I'm impressed.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! Love the camera takes and video!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

You nailed it on that video, really a great one,...AND,

Congrats to the Ginny, Nice shooting,....

Enjoy all that meat, an hang that rack on the wall, great job all around
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Denali Hwy Caribou Hunt 2012

Great job in the video. Thanks for sharing
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Great video! Congrats to Ginny! She nailed that shot. And btw...I'll be calling you as a moose hunting partner since you packed 174 pounds out two miles!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

4:07 mark... caribou running down the valley in the background? Nice camera indeed and congrats to Ginny and the pack mule.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

AKhunter7, that was an awesome video. That SLOW panning is what made it great. Congrats to BOTH of you. heavy packs for sure. Great hunt.

Outstanding camera work. Might have to look at one of those.
    Late Oct..............was he rutty? Meat OK?
    How come you didn't volunteer to babysit and let the hubby take her hunting?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice job man...congrats to her on a great Bou..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What a fantastic video and hunt, enjoyed the write up too. Thanks for sharing!

What model Canon did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Outstanding camera work. Might have to look at one of those.
    Late Oct..............was he rutty? Meat OK?
    How come you didn't volunteer to babysit and let the hubby take her hunting?
    OK, I read the story a little better. Meat is good.
    But.........yea, what model canon??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Its the Canon 60d with the 18-135mm and the 70-300mm lenses. It is a little big and heavy and with the 300mm lense its a little noisy but how far it zooms makes up for that. I am very impressed with it. I havent had any problems with it other then I have a lot to learn still.

The answer to your babysitting question is that I'm a hunter not a sitter . They never actually asked me to babysit just asked me to take her hunting. Funny thing is I didnt even think about it till you brought it up.

I was wondering if anyone was gona notice that.

Great video and story!

My last post was meant for SkinnyD about the caribou in the background.

That girl can shoot!!

Default Re: Denali Hwy Caribou Hunt 2012

Congrats to her on a great bou!
    Great video too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats to Ginny on a nice caribou and great job on the video!

Congratulations to Ginny on the nice Bou! She looked pretty elated. - Nice video too! I would think they would only get better.
    "Grin and Bear It"