Thread: Electric 2/4 wheel drive

Default Electric 2/4 wheel drive

Got a new Yammie Big Bear. 2007 with push button 4 wheel drive. Just wondering if it is reliable. Dealer says it is...........of course. I know it's been around a few years. Curious if it's as trustworthy as manual shifting.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Martentrapper, I have had an Arctic cat with pushbutton 4x4 for about a year and a half now and so far so good. I was in a lot dryer climate than this though, so hopefully the mud doesnt play havoc on it!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Oh ya! On-Command 4x4.I love it! I have it on my 02 Griz. I was concerned about it at first also. But, Yammi has had that system for about 15-20 years. No need to stop to go from 2 to 4 wheel drive. The only thing I have done since I ride lots of mud and water is that I pulled the plugs where the wires attach to the servo and gave them a good dose of dielectric grease. Well, I've done that to every electrical connector I could find on the whole bike including the plug wire.

Over the years I have talked to lots of guys who run yammis with this system and I have only come across one reported time that the servo went bad. It's just not a problem with these bikes.

Grease it up, don't worry about it and enjoy that On-Command 4x4! While other guys are stopping and shifting you'll be up the trail!

My '07 Outlander 800 has the same setup as did my '04 Arctic Cat 650. I believe a high % of the new four-wheelers out there has this setup if I'm not mistaken now. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Need 4x4 in a hurry? Just move your thumb up and down and give it gas.

What color did you get?

Got 6,000 miles on one of my bruin 05's the 4x4 button gets pushed on and off all the time, The only problem with it is the red on the button is wearing off.........
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Like the rest of the posters said, don't worry about the reliability of the push-button 4wd system. I have a 2001 Kodiak with PB 4wd and it works great. I don't think I'd buy a wheeler without it. I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life to worry about- this shouldn't be one of them. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Got it in Olive green. Been trying it out around town so far, and enjoying it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The pushbutton 4x4 is great havenít had any trouble with it yet, (í00 Yamaha Grizzly) and itís great not to have to stop to switch back and forth.

Default 02 Big Bears X3

2K or more on each machine, never a problem with the 2/4WD. I was worried about it initially also.

I bought the 07 Big Bear for my wife as well. I did a LOT of reading before I bought it, and it seems to be one of the most reliable ATV's overall from any manufacturer. No problems with my 4WD selector. One glitch I've read about though is the front locker. It seems some people are having trouble with it engaging, or staying engaged. It seems under load, or suspension flex it will sometimes disengage, or fail to engage. The general thought is that the CDI box doesn't put out enough voltage to keep it engaged. If you have the problem, the dealer should be able to fix it for you.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Funny how we all seem to think that electronic 4wd will break, when the thing is designed not to. My 05 Kodiak has had no problems either. Glad to hear that nobody else has problems. I wanna go riding right now!