Thread: Used boat purchase

Default Used boat purchase

Looking at a 90's fiberglass Vantare yacht. The boat sunk in about 2003 at its slip. It was floated within 48hrs. In 04-05 it was rewired, cleaned up,electronics changed out. The hull is solid FRP but the superstructure is cored in areas. The boat shows well but I'm concerned about moisture damage, mostly in the core areas. The boat has been being used since restoration though not a lot, (500 hrs in 8 years) the 3208's were also rebuilt. Any suggestions on specifics to look for and other things to be concerned about? The survey mentioned elevated moisture levels below the windows in the cabin but does not say how much. Thanks KB

can you "look at it yourself"......lots of boats been sunk...check them out thoroughly...if you can get a good deal i would'nt shy away.

Be careful with the cored top if it has moisture that means the windows are leaking into the core. Is the core balsa or foam, balsa is like a sponge and they had problems with some of the early foams like klegecell. The moisture will freeze and expand the foam and delaminate the glass from the foam. To fix it if its not to bad you have to remove the windows, dig out the wet core, dry out the rest with heat lamps and or acetone, then backfill with deck & hull putty , sand it all fair, and then reinstall the windows with a good new gasket that won't leak. Its a time consuming job if you do it yourself and a expensive one if you have to pay someone to do it. You should have the boat inside a warm shop if your going to try to fix it over the winter so more expense. Now you can move on the the electrical's, steering, engines,engine controls and all the other gremlins that will pop up after a boat goes blub,blub,blub !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm going to look at the boat this weekend. The boat is the 54' Vantare on banana belt boats website. The surveyor mentions elevated moisture in the stern platform(cockpit floor?), cabin sides below the aft cabin windows and in the cabin sides below most cabin windows. He recommends resealing all windows. I'm going to try to get them to let me remove a window or two to take a look. How accurate are these moisture tests?

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    I'm going to look at the boat this weekend. The boat is the 54' Vantare on banana belt boats website. The surveyor mentions elevated moisture in the stern platform(cockpit floor?), cabin sides below the aft cabin windows and in the cabin sides below most cabin windows. He recommends resealing all windows. I'm going to try to get them to let me remove a window or two to take a look. How accurate are these moisture tests?
    Sounds to me like all the core will be wet and your looking at a real nightmare, you'll be chasing that wet core forever. I looked at the listing and pictures, beautiful boat but it has never been in freezing temps and thats when that moisture problem will rear its ugly head.
    A surveyor hired by a buyer for my bowpicker went all over the boat with a moisture meter, i asked him if they worked any good since he hadn't found anything and when going by one of the scuppers the needle on the meter buried on the wet side, we both thought that water had gotten into the hull lamination's by the scupper well after going inside the boat we found that a hydraulic hose was laying up against the hull and thats what the meter was reading!! after seeing that i was made a believer in those moisture meters.
    I'd be very careful with that boat with all that fancy finish work it will cost a fortune to fix the moisture problems especially if its a balsa core, that stuff just goes into a rotten powder.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

If you decide to buy, have a good survey done of the boat in and out of the water. Do not use the sellers serveyor. Have the engines, genny survayed by a qualified engine surveyor.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the heads up, especially the core issues and freezing temps, I'll look it over hard. Most of these too good to be true deals are just that. I'll post next week on what I find.

Good advice from Steve, as usual, on moisture and freeze problems Too many horror stories I've seen with cored decks/sides delaminating.

Also check the fuel tanks. A friend's 32 Bayliner sank in Whittier years ago and he had it shipped to Seattle for rework. It took a few years to get it back in the water and turned out they didn't get all the salt water out of the tanks and they wound up pitted so bad he had to replace them.

On a boat that size there will be areas (compartments, bilge hidey-holes, etc.) that will be likely impossible to inspect. Think about the scenario; the boat SANK, presumably in salt water. I'm currently employed by a boatyard and am by no means a marine surveyor; however in winterizing & working on umpteen boats we've hauled out for winter; I've seen many that have never sunk that show corrosion & all kinds of things that need attention. Salt corrosion, like rust, never sleeps.
    If you've got plenty of time & money to invest it may be a worthwhile project. Heated, dry storage for months, with airflow, definitely wouldn't be a waste of time, especially since the survey points out problems. I'm thinking this is a huge can of worms.
    Also a few de-humidifiers running constantly around the clock would be good wherever you could fit them underdeck.
    Sorry to harp but just the effects of salt air can be alarming.

Thanks for advice...To fix it if its not to bad you have to remove the windows, dig out the wet core, dry out the rest with heat lamps and or acetone, then backfill with deck & hull putty , sand it all fair, and then reinstall the windows with a good new gasket that won't leak.

home page
    Fahrenheit Marketing is Austinís top-notch digital marketing agency. We satisfy your business needs in a way unique to you.

^^^^^^ looks like we have a spammer !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692