Thread: Black nets and other dipnet humor

Default Black nets and other dipnet humor

Thought I would throw this out for fun. Do black netted dipnets catch more fish? I have seen people working the water for hours with a black net before others let them in on it.

Has anyone ever seen that pink head sea gull?

Any other oddities of dipnetting

is there a mesh size requirement? If not I'd bet a bit of gillnet in the bag would work awesome
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AKPM - You're allowed to use gillnet. In fact, based on informal observations I would say that the vast majority of dipnets on the Kenai and Kasilof rivers have gillnet bags. Mine does!

Any of the nets made by Don's in Kenai and Mike's in Sterling use gill net. I have also seen dip nets with gill netting at B and J Commercial. I have used them for several years and can testify that they are way way more effective than nets set up with landing net types of netting - regardless of color.

If you are using nets with landing net netting I'd suggest you replace it. You can buy gill net in small quantities at the Silvertip Gear Shed in Kasilof - if they are still in business....I'd heard they were for sale but not sure whats going on there. You will radically increase your effectiveness in dipping. Gill net is also a little bit easier to hold in the current.