Thread: Hunting the Tanana and Kantishna river.

Default Hunting the Tanana and Kantishna river.

Hey, my cousin and I will be hunting the Tanana and Kantishna river this September for moose, and would like some tips (We will be going up with his 18 ft tracker). How is it navigating these rivers? Also, what kind of boots would you guy recommend for that area? I was thinking of getting some Lacrosse alpha burlys, but maybe some hip waders would be better. I have all the other gear I need like good hiking boots, and warm fleece and wool, and I will be buying some HH Impertech rain gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It depends on what part of the rivers you will be hunting. I know the tanana very well about 15 miles up and down river from Fairbanks. Give me some more info and I may be able to help out.

Isulated extratoughs. They are the best knee boots out there. Hip and/or chest waders are a good idea.

-Eric

We will be launching at Nenana

The Tanana in that area is a pretty easy run. They run barges through there so it shouldn't be much of a problem. The Kantishna is also a big mud river without a lot of suprises. Neither of the rivers are very braided in these areas so the navigation is pretty straight forward - up stream or down stream. How far up the Kantishna are you planning on going and are you running a jet or prop?

You will need more than knee boots. I always take both hip boots and chest waders.

we will be in a 18ft Tracker with a 65/90 Merc. jet. I think that we will be going quite far up the Kantishna. To avoid other people. Not real sure yet we will be kinda winging it.

Default How much fuel can ya carry?

If you're putting in at Nenana, the mouth of the Kantishna is 70 river miles from the Nenana launch. Three hunters did that run last year with a 55 gal barrel and ended up without enough fuel to make it back to Nenana. One guy had to catch a ride back to Nenana in another hunter's boat while the remaining two limped downstream to Manley, where the first guy drove to and picked them up with his truck. Watch your fuel burn going down to and up the Kantishna, & whatever you burn, plan on having that much & at least a third over that for the run back up...maybe more if ya happen to put meat in the boat and are running heavy. A word of caution on the Nenana boat launch...try & park as close to the cabin in the woods on the south side next to the launch parking lot. Nothing spoils a great hunting trip like coming back to load up & finding the windows all smashed out of your rig. They got about 10 - 15 vehicles last year alone (including mine).

Hope this helps,

Brian

Default Hmmmm

Hey Outdoorsman - I am the cousin mzratm is going with this fall. It sounds like you have alot of info about that area. Do you think it would be better to drive to Manley, and put in there? Also how many hunters on average hunt that area? Have you hunted there? Im also concerned about Moose populations. Mind if we pick your brain?

A word of caution on the Nenana boat launch...try & park as close to the cabin in the woods on the south side next to the launch parking lot. Nothing spoils a great hunting trip like coming back to load up & finding the windows all smashed out of your rig. They got about 10 - 15 vehicles last year alone (including mine).

Hope this helps,

Brian

There are two areas to launch - one on the Nenana river back off the road in the woods and one on the Tanana out in the open in town. I would think that the one in town is a lot safer from random vadalism. I have use both and fortunately have had no problems.

Default Kantishna...

Given the size of your boat, with two people/fuel/gear, you're likely to be going in heavy. Manley may be a better option for launching simply because it cuts approx. 70 miles (round-trip) to the mouth of the Kantishna. The Kantishna does get some pressure every year...depending when you go, you may see anywhere from 5 to 15 camps up & down the river. The moose density is very low in there, not at all like 20A to the east. Having said that, if you do your homework & find the right habitat, there are pockets of moose to be found. You just have to be patient & get off the river.

What Rambling Raven said about there being two launches in Nenana is correct, as well as potential safety to vehicles...however, the one in town can be a challenge to launch in when the water level's down.

Brian