Thread: Afognak Island Bear Hunt

Default Afognak Island Bear Hunt

I'm heading out to the east end of Afognak next for a bear/deer/elk hunt, any last minute suggestions? This will be my first time to the Kodiak chain and my first time hunting brownies. I've got most of the details ironed out and tickets purchased. Just looking for some last minute tips or pointers.

I have done Afognak three times for bear. Don't let the weather keep you down.

go high,glass and stay motivated and as dry as you can with good gear.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Be ready for fast shooting when you start laying into that Brown Bear. I can't speak about that island but I know you don't want to track a brownie anywhere.

Don't forget your camera.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Keep a positive attitude. Don't let things like not seeing game get you down being down can ruin a hunt ,things can change in a hurry Just enjoy the moment and have a great hunt.

Take lots of pics for the pic heavy hunt report upon your return. Be safe!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I went out to Pillar Lake cabin several years back in the spring, and didnt even have to leave the beach by the cabin, shot a 9.5 the second day of the hunt, and saw 9 others just as big. One old big boy even drug off the carcass of my bear from the beach, we found it buried couple hundred yards from where I shot it, and along side it was part of a seal...

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kodiak/afognak.htm

looks like it has a bunch of info on here for the island, trails, cabins to rent etc.

Outside of calling the biologist.. i would hit this link. Good luck

Ruger..sounds like you had one heck of an opportunity..nice job

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    I went out to Pillar Lake cabin several years back in the spring, and didnt even have to leave the beach by the cabin, shot a 9.5 the second day of the hunt, and saw 9 others just as big. One old big boy even drug off the carcass of my bear from the beach, we found it buried couple hundred yards from where I shot it, and along side it was part of a seal...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've done a fair amount of research and talked to the pilot from Island Air that does the mail run out that way and John Crye the wildlife biologist for Kodiak. I think I've got a spot narrowed down (hopefully I'm the first one there) and few back up locations. I've upgraded a few pieces of gear as $$ allows and I'm renting some other gear that is better than mine. On a side note, Island Air now rents a bunch of outdoor gear (tents, sat. phone, rafts, etc) and their prices are very comparable with the other equipment rental place on Kodiak.

Ruger - I'm hoping I have a hunt like yours, I'll take a 9.5' bear on the beach in a second. Probably even a 9 footer.

Pictures are a must, I took a couple hundred on Brook's Range hunt a couple years ago. I have a back up for my back up camera. Wife would kill me if I didn't bring home lots of pictures.

Weather is one of my bigger concerns but I'll just have to roll with the punches that mother nature provides, fortunately I set up the hunt so that I have a couple days on the backside before I start missing work. Though I would miss the most important sports weekend of the year, the Cat-Griz football game.

Just returned from there last night. We had a good time but didn't find the big one. There were a couple guys who hiked the ridges one day looking for elk, but I don't think that effected the bears in there as they are somewhat used to it. I think the weather was almost to good as the sun was out every day but the first & last when it snowed. Also the moon was fairly bright, so I think they were laying in the high hillside grass / brush taking in the sun & moving & eating at night. Oh well we saw a good number of deer, fox, & enjoyed the trip. Brought the HH rain gear & didn't even have to break it out, the NW wind did get a little chilly on Tuesday when it was blowning 40 or so.
    Drop me a pm & let me know what area you are heading to.