Thread: Williams peep sight

Default Williams peep sight

I put one of these sights on my encore. A simple peep rear retical with a screw out center. The front sight post is still the original fiber optic blade. I like the sight but have some questions. I was practicing in an open field with a breeze from right to left at 7 mph. I used a 300 gr. ballistic tip hornady sabot over 120 gr loose 777 powder. I got a nice shot group at 150 yards. The drop was 9 inches and it was 7 inches low. I could cover the 4 shots with my palm. OK, How do you figure out how much the wind factors into the equation. For that matter is there some way I can figure out bullet drop? A book or chart reccomendation would be great.
    15 shots and my shoulder was done. I use the ready made bags for a rest. One of those lead sleds would have helped. Course, you can't bring a lead sled in the woods with you. Joel

Sam Fadala's book "Blackpowder Handbook" and "Blackpowder Loading Manual" are good resources. On page #234 of the "blackpowder Handbook" Fadala has several examples of wind drift. The one most appropriate for you is the following: A 50 caliber maxi-ball weighing 370 grains and moving at 1500 fps MV drifts 16 inches at 100 yards in a 20 mph side wind and 60 inches at 200 yards in the same wind. A 54 caliber, 400-grain conical at 1500 fps MV drifts 11 inches at 100 yards in a 20 mph cross wind and 43 inches at 200 yards. Hope this is useful.

Thanks. I will look for the book you referred too.
    Joel