Thread: How do you cook hooligans?

Default How do you cook hooligans?

I have to ask how in the world do you cook these little guys so that they are edible? I'd like to go dip netting for them but it would be wasteful for me as I have yet to have them cooked in a manner which I found palatable.

Rick P

Default 1 time only

I've only dipped for them once, but got a ton last year. I did a couple things. I gutted them and cut the head off then rolled in flour then pan fried.

I like that a LOT with a liberal use of salt. The bones just dissapear, and they are really tasty. I enjoyed them with a couple beers. I froze some and did the same for football games etc, and really liked it.

My friend and I (he did all the work, I ate the product) cut them into bite sized pieces and did a short brine, then smoked them for 1 hour. We (well HE) then canned them. This was AWESOME!! Like smoked King Albert in the can kind of awesome.

Those are the only two methods I've eaten and was surprised at how much I enjoyed both. I also used some as bait for pike and burbot. I liked eating them enough that I'm looking forward to getting some soon!!

pss....plus it was one of the funnest, and funniest things I've ever done. I was literally laughing like a little kid. Actual hee, hee, hee kind of laughing. I mean you'd feel a tip, tip, tip like gravel hitting the net, hold it up and little silver fish would be falling out of the net...time after time. Best I did was about 20 in one dip, and my net had a hole in it.

Thumbs up Try this. . .

Rick, I like the taste of hooligan because they taste like smelt but milder. The bad thing about hooligan for me is that they're "mushy." The only thing I tried, which helped, was to soak the hooligan in a stiff salt brine for an hour or so before cooking, and then fry them down slowly over medium heat.

Worth a try. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Rick, I like the taste of hooligan because they taste like smelt but milder. The bad thing about hooligan for me is that they're "mushy." The only thing I tried, which helped, was to soak the hooligan in a stiff salt brine for an hour or so before cooking, and then fry them down slowly over medium heat.

Worth a try. . .
    Like smelt only Milder!!!! I'm there man! Most have had a bad batch or something in the past. First full moon in May right?

AKBrown used to go smelt dipping back in Michigan and that was a major hoot! On Higgins lake you can catch smelt through the ice at night on little bitty hooks. Lived on Higgins lake in college and spending a night drinking and fishing the little guys was always fun!

PS We always refeered to it as smelt drinking.

You can smoke them to where they are dry & tasty, but you will have a hell of a mess in the bottom of your smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    You can smoke them to where they are dry & tasty, but you will have a hell of a mess in the bottom of your smoker.
    Need to clean out the smoker anyway might just be the motivation I need

Another vote for the smoker. Use a brine that is liberal in apple juice, smoke em till they are dry and tight....Excellent snack-in-yer-pack stuff for fishing/hunting....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks all I think I'll be heading out after the little guys next week. There seems to be several threads on this going but is there a place closer to palmer anyone could recomend? I dont supose they can be found in the Kink?

My neihbors
    loved to smoke em, I use the ones I dip as pike bait
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.