Thread: Family bow hunting

Default Family bow hunting

I looked at old threads and could not find much on first time bow hunters, So I thought I would ask. My wife and I are wanting to get into bow hunting but neither of us have any experience or knowledge on bows. The only thing we know is we both want compund bows. Can someone point us in the right direction for good starter bows but will be good for hunting and good for growth as we get better with bows. We would appreciate any guideance and help you can offer us.

Your best bet is to go to your nearest archery pro shop. In this case, Full Curl Archery in Anchorage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Your best bet is to go to your nearest archery pro shop. In this case, Full Curl Archery in Anchorage.
    Exactly!! Most pro shops have new bows and old bows you can try out. Just because it is used does not mean it does not yet have life left in it. Some people dump their bows after only 1-2 years just so they can have the latest/greatest. A good pro shop is a great place to start.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

thank you I will start with full curl archery and work my way around and see how people can help me and my wife out

Kevin,Dave and Joni(full curl) are good people and I am sure they can help you out.. If you have some questions please feel free to give me a shout..
    Dave
    thesheephunter@yahoo.com

This is a great time to pick up a used bow as a lot of us gotta have the latest and greatest junkies are selling our old bows to pick up the new years models. However, sometimes buying used you can buy someone else's headaches. Hoyt and Mathews both make an entry level model bow which might be a good place to start. Plan on spending at least $500-700 to get set up, bow, sight, arrows, release, rest, quiver, tips, etc. Dave and Joni will steer you in the right direction and usuall have lots of bows on hand. If you're new to archery take a lesson or two and avoid some bad form habits early on. Once you get them, practice, practice, practice. I used to be able to shoot everyday in my yard but moved and now lucky to shoot once and week and it I can tell a difference in my scores.

Full Curl is a great place to do business. They let me fling arrows with the elite line up until I finally made up my mind. All of the major manufactures make good stuff these so shoot all of them and decide what you like the best.

Full Curl has a 20 yard indoor range, Black Sheep on Base has 52 yard indoor range along with paper for tuning and chrono, bow press. Depending on what part of town you live in there is a great 80yard range at Kincaid Park and they also have a 3d course (3d is for members only).

Lots of leagues and competitions in the area which are great as you will meet a lot of very helpful folks and a little competition can help make us all better.

Best of luck,

Steve

Forget to mention some good web surfing forums, elitearchery.com and archerytalk.com Have to weed through some BS but lots of good info especially the nuts and bolts on archerytalk, well worth printing out the document and reading through it. Here is a link http://archeryhistory.com/archerytal...of_Archery.pdf its a 159 pages so crack a beer and enjoy

Thanks for the tips and advice we live on base and im sure will need all the practice we can get once we chose whats best for each of us. Im just excited that my wife wants to get into archery.

Default Family bow hunting

This spring I pick up my very first bow.
    I bought Hoyt from full curl. There a family run shop wife and husband. They took there time with me. answered all my questions. Even gave bow lessons. There costumer service is the best in town.
    I thought a lot on which bow to buy. I bought one that I knew I wouldn't be saying or wanting something better. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351664845.392539.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

good choice there akmike.....sure is a nice first bow...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0718 View Post
    Thanks for the tips and advice we live on base and im sure will need all the practice we can get once we chose whats best for each of us. Im just excited that my wife wants to get into archery.
    Keep her interested! I got my wife (daughter, granddaughter, son ) into it several years ago, my wife and granddaughter are the best hunting partners I've got!

Full Curl is the way to go! They really are great, and the tip on taking a lesson is spot on. Develop good habits early on and it will make everything else you do easier. I would also say, of the money you spend, IMO more should go into a solid bow. The accessories can easily be put on and replaced as you find what you like, but if you buy a poor bow, it won't matter how nice your rest or sight is, it won't be accurate (and therefore, won't be fun to shoot). I also second what was said about keeping the family involved! A few years ago my wife started shooting and then last year she decided she wanted to try to hunt with her bow. This year she drew a sweet archery only tag for any moose and we are getting ready to go out and fill her tag. That is as soon as she gives birth to our first son. Then, it's out the door with bow in hand...at least that's the plan.

Screaming eagle in wasilla is a great place to go also
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Full curl is great. We setup my wife last year with a starter bow and just ended up upgrading her to a Mathews jewel this year. Make sure you get something that you won't want to upgrade in a year, you'll lose money. Bow hunting is hard and can test your limits mentally. Persistence is key! My wife just scored her first big game animal after her fourth trip up the haul road. It's tough but rewarding!

I just got back from the haul road went up there to hunt with a rifle and it was depressing to see all these bow hunters right off the road and i had to hump it out 5 miles so im excited to start bow hunitng. We are going to start shopping this week from what everyone said sounds like we are going to start at full curl

Well today was the day. I took my wife shopping for bows and we bought two from Dave and Joni and Full Curl archery. They were both so very helpful and took a good hour or so to fit us with the right bow for each of us. I got the new Hoyt charger and my wife the new mission bow. They both fit us great and we are looking foward to lots of target practice before hunting next year. I would recommend Full Curl to anyone for any archery purchase they were great. Thanks to everyone who suggested them. Alot better then some of the other places.

Kevin glad you had such a great experience at full curl... enjoy the new bows and have fun with them...
    Dave