Thread: Polaris Safety Throttle Switch?

Lightbulb Polaris Safety Throttle Switch?

I had a pretty close call with a throttle stuck wide-open last weekend on my Polaris Fusion. Ended up toasting the belt to a nice hourglass shape while holding the brake, didn't have a killswitch, forgot my key (bad deal). Anyways, I was talking to a buddy who said that his '99 RMK had a safety switch where if you pulled the throttle out (toward the end of the handlebar) and then pushed it in, it throws a switch that kills the engine. Do the newer machines have this feature or is this something found on the older ones?

They all have throttle stop safetys now days. Is yours the 900? If so, here is a link about recalls - http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05553.html
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

No, the 600. I'm surprised that I've never heard of them until now. I imagine your sled has one and if it does have you used it?

It does, but it is one of those things that you don't really "use". It senses the position of the throttle and if everything isn't correct, it won't let the engine start.

If you look between the throttle lever and the housing (as you push the throttle down) you should see two small plastic buttons. These need to be free to move so they can sense when the throttle is in it's idle position. If you go to start the engine and both position sensors are extended, it recognizes that something is wrong (the throttle cable is stuck open) and it won't let it start. This is why the hinge point for the throttle lever is not securely mounted at one point, it has some lateral movement as well. This "lateral" movement allows the throttle position sensor to tell when the cable is stuck open when you let off the throttle.

Clear as mud I'm sure....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have hit that by mistake before! Started getting tired and slide my hand in the slot to releave my thumb. It will almost throw you over the handle bars when your going 3/4 throttle in the powder and hit that by mistake! 03 RMK 800