Thread: Ideas for draw permits

Default Ideas for draw permits

So I've began thinking about what permits I will apply for next I will be an official resident beginning 2 aug 2013. I now have a atv and am ready to start planning for 2013 season. What are some good permits to apply for in this novbers drawings that are accessible by vehicle or atv in close proximity to Fairbanks? Thinking also about a fly out trip for sheep or goat also but my budget is not the greatest.

[QUOTE=Dakota boy;1196977] I now have a atv and am ready to start planning for 2013 season. [QUOTE]

If you're starting your planning with an atv, you're starting with the wrong equipment. Although an atv is a useful tool, maps, books and research will go as far, if not farther than an atv. Broad questions, usually get broad answers, you may want to narrow your question by asking about specific trails or areas and not all of Fairbanks.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Ideas for draw permits

Thanks for the input I'm new to the area and not really sure exactly where there are atv accessible trails and areas arwas are thats why i added i just bought an atv. Last year I just hoofed it. Didn't have an atv. But basically just trying to get some input on some of the more accessible and successful drawing permits in close proximity to Fairbanks. As I added would love to do a fly out hunt but not exactly in my budget at this time so the closer to Fairbanks equals the cheaper the hunt.

Back page of the supplement gives you draw odds for last year. High draw success, in close proximity to Fairbanks, normally means access is difficult by some standard. Make sure you look at hunt maps on the ADF&G webpage. As for trail information, one place to start that has maps and information is:

Alaska Public Lands Information Center
    101 Dunkel Street Suite 110
    Fairbanks, AK 99701

or the Fish & Game Office in Fairbanks. All you can do is start digging, might take a bit to break ground, but once you do it will open up. Maybe some Fairbanks area folks will chime in to help get you started.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Up in 20 I would focus on moose antlerless draw hunts. There are all kinds of them, so pick one that fits your knowledge and access skills.

However, with most of 20 being any bull these days why bother with a draw hunt.

There are several sheep and goat draw hunts that are road accessed. Look at the maps and make a plan. Also many Over the counter tag sheep hunts as well.

Definitely 20 antler less hunts for sure. Nice knowing you can get any moose, except cow with calf. Also, Tok Mgmt. Area for sheep, you can use your atv.

Just look through the hunt reports here and pics, you will knwo what you want to put in for when you see it. You'll just see a pic and go *&&^^((*, I gotta do that!!!