Thread: New Gun Prices Up There...

Default New Gun Prices Up There...

I swear, a new question comes to me everyday. Here's today's.

Are new gun prices up there commensurate with everything else? How much does say, a new Remington 700 CDL run (about $650 down here)?

If they are, I think my wisest course will be to add anything I think I'll want that I don't have now and ship it up when I move, rather than add it when I get there...

Since most states have sales tax and Alaska does not (some communities do though) I think by the time you get the gun out of the store the prices are cheaper here than they are in the lower 48.
    I recently traveled to Pa and WV and looked extensively for guns at stores and gun shows and in every case by the time factored in paying the required sales tax I knew I could buy it cheaper back here and passed. If you currently live in a state that does not have sales tax they may be less expensive though.
    Tennessee

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    ...I think by the time you get the gun out of the store the prices are cheaper here than they are in the lower 48.
    I recently traveled to Pa and WV...
    I disagree.
    I have been to Virginia, Oklahoma, and Florida and their low prices knock my socks off. I have the urge to load up and bring them all home.
    The closest thing to reasonable prices, I have found in Alaska, was Kmart when they were here and now Walmart. I think they claim to sell at the same prices as their west coast stores. This may be what Snowwolfe is referring to...?

Not long ago I spent some time in Washington DC and found the prices in NoVA to be outrageous. But drive down into the country and some real bargins exist. East coast Walmarts are cheaper than the west coast stores.

Used gun prices up here are typically the same as a new gun prices down yonder. I do a lot of looking (I feel it is my job to insure the gunshops do not underprice any guns. If they do, I promptly remove them from the market) and the rare good deal is extremely rare.

Default sales tax

Maybe a bit off topic....but in most states that have sales tax (at least on the west coast) if you show them your AK driver's license you don't have to pay it. It doesn't really apply to guns, since I believe you can't buy guns (from a dealer) in a state where you're not a resident (stupid), but for other stuff it works out great. On the rare occasions when I am forced to travel to the Lesser 48 I try to stock up on things in Washington that I can get substantially cheaper there than here. When you figure prices are lower to begin with, and then also don't pay the tax, it can be a big savings.

The latest two different rifles I was trying to purchase while in the lower 48 were a CZ LH .22. Cheapest one I could find for sale in either the sticks in Pa or WV, which included the Cabales store and Grices Guns, which is a huge store in Pa was $379. To this I had to add the required sales tax.
    I ordered the same rifle and picked it up at Boondocks for $389 out the door.
    I was also on the search for some Kimber Hunter .22's for my wife and son. Cheapest price I could find was $729. Again, I would then have to add at least 6% sales tax. I also ordered these from Boondocks and got a pair of them for $750 each.
    I know this is a small representative sample but in my situation I saved money by ordering from Boondocks.
    Plus add the fact I can take them back to Boondocks and they will ship them in for any warranty work and I am supporting my local dealer and we both gain.
    If you want to get an idea what new guns are going for just do a search on Gunbrokers and you can find current prices for the lower 48 as many dealers sell there.
    Funny thing is, when I try to sell a used rifle I often will locally list it on here or other places in Alaska. When it doesnt sell it will go on Gunbrokers where in 90% of the cases it will sell for more than what I asked for it in Alaska.
    However, the highest prices anywhere in Alaska are at the bigger gun shows like Palmer or Wasilla. Then I truly do see most used abused guns with asking prices higher than what I can have a new one ordered for.
    There are exceptions to every rule so that is why it is important to shop around before spending your money.
    Tennessee

I just picked up a Remington XCR chambered in .375 RUM for $869.00 from Sportsmans Warehouse about a month ago.... The CDR's were approx $650-700 if I remember correctly!

- Clint

In February, I bought a Rem 700 LSS in 300 wsm at Sprotsmans warehouse for $650. A friend bought a 700 LSS in 300 ultra mag about two years ago for $800. Not too bad, I don't think.