Thread: Kahiltna flats

Default Kahiltna flats

I was looking on DNR and I found 15 acres in Kahiltna Flats . Does anyone have any info on this area??? I don't want to purchase wetland and was hoping someone on here may have some info for me.. This would be a permanent residents for me! Any help is greatly appreciated....

The best recomendation for purchasing any land is that you need to travel to it to inspect it, and visit it during different seasons. That is the only way to be assured that you know whether or not the land is suitable. If you can't afford to fly out a few times to visit it, or don't have a snowmachine to visit it, then you surely can't afford to develop it.

My two concerns would be flooding and access. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the area flooded this summer, and the DNR's description of the access doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Words like limited access via small plane, potential access via riverboat and Oilwell road may provide access are all warning signs to me. Any land that doesn't have well traveled and established trails is going to be an order of magnitude more effort and expense to develop than land that does.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Mostly swampy land, some parcels have slight ridges running through them. Typically the larger parcels have more swampy land than the smaller parcels. There was a guy running down from oilwell road with a nodwell the last couple of winters grooming trails down to the area, he was trying to get a roadhouse going and wanted to see some traffic.
    I'd advise flying it and/or at least cheking it out by snowmachine this winter. Skeeters ARE going to be hell from breakup thru mid july, FYI.
    BK

If someone is accessing the area with a nodwell it must be accessible with a snowmachine.... The swamp has me wondering though... I guess I'm going to have to pick a few different locations and fly over them and see which ones are the best... Any suggestions for other areas to look at on the dnr site?

Quote Originally Posted by The dismissed View Post
    If someone is accessing the area with a nodwell it must be accessible with a snowmachine.... The swamp has me wondering though... I guess I'm going to have to pick a few different locations and fly over them and see which ones are the best... Any suggestions for other areas to look at on the dnr site?

Not always. They may be tresspassing across someone elses land with that nodwell and one day the owner may block access. Not saying that's the case here but you need to check legal access to property if you plan to get there overland.

I just found this property near Lockwood lake http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/a...als/3500-0.pdf asls 2003-46 tract d it looks like someone has developed the land right near it and I was wondering if anyone has any info for this area? Should I add it to my fly by list?