Thread: Help with boat decision

Default Help with boat decision

I am looking at getting a 20ish ft jet, something like a Hewescraft Sportsman or similar model. I know that they are not the best for going way out in the ocean, but they would suffice of fishing in certain bays and more protected waters for halibut, salmon, etc? I am new to this, so any input would be helpful. I have read most of the posts on here, but I am still unsure. This boat would also be used to run some rivers here and fish in the lower 48. I would think that around a 100 Hp motor with proper diligence on weather and water conditions would work fine. Thanks.

I used to have an 18" Hewes River Runner, had twin 40HP Yamaha's on it. it worked great for trolling for Silvers out of Seward, wx permitting. And I used to fish the kelp off the Homer bluffs with it for "kelp Mama's"... Unfortunately I replaced it with a flat bottomed Sea Ark and that doesn't work worth a crap trolling with any kind of breeze. So, my son and I bought a little Bayliner to fish saltwater, and kept the SeaArk to fish freshwater.

Eagle River, Alaska,

I used to have a 20 Hewes Sportsman with the 200 Mercury Sport Jet and I loved it. It was decent in the ocean and really good on the rivers too. Lots of fishing room in those boats.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing