Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Deer Horn Growth

Default Sitka Deer Horn Growth

I was thinking about going to hunt Sitka deer this year. I would like to hunt August 1st to 8th but my concerns is the horn growth this early in August. Have any of you taken a deer this early in the season?

the antlers pretty much covered in velevet that early, but boy are they tastey then! Hunt high!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

you don't really shoot sitka black tails for their horns you shoot them for there meat. and it is the best in August but the antlers are pretty close to being full grown.

Yes, I know you don't shoot an aminal just for the horns. That wasn't may question. I've also had sitka deer meat and loved. If I go to kodiak the 1st week of August, I liked to mount the deer in velvet if the horn is not develope I won't beable to mount it. IF that is the case I like to go later in August. So, get off your high horse.

I would like some help to my first question about the horn growth at this time of yea,r from anyone that has shot a deer during this time of year.

They're pretty much developed down here in SE by that time. I'm guessing it's about the same for Kodiak.

kingfisherktn

Default Good time to go.

The antlers will still be in velvet of course but antler growth has normally stopped by mid to late july. Ive heard on Kodiak sitka's antlers are usually velvet free as early as the 3rd week of August. I went last year in the last week of August, and every buck I saw had no velvet, and even the scrapes on brush, and trees looked at least 2 to 3 weeks old. You should be good. They are gonna be way up high that time of year so get ready for climbing.

I think what they were trying to say was Sitkas dont have Large antlers - So most people arnt concerned about antlers because they arnt exactly a trophy animal - I dont think they had any objection to someone wanting to mount the antlers, or go after a trophy....Just trying to point out that are deer are pretty small..

I gotta go with Onelung on this one. You can't expect much in the way of antlers from a german shepard size animal. That being said, I have seen a few decent bucks(for blacktails anyway). No one is going to berate you for wanting a trophy animal, just don't set your expectations too high.

-Eric

I have seen some HUGE blacktails - but they are few and far between - and even then they dont compare to a mulie or a whitetail...

Thanks for the replies. I did a Kodiak hunt two years ago but it was in Sept. All the deer were hard horned by than. I really like velvet horns on deer.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    You can't expect much in the way of antlers from a german shepard size animal.

-Eric
    Don't know where you've been hunting Sitkas to think they are German Shepard sized. But you haven't been shooting mature bucks if that's all the size you've seen.

Heck, on the whole, the biggest antlers on a blacktail are in California, and the blacktails there are tiny for the most part. Even our so called puny Sitkas can make those deer look small.

PS, By opening day, (Aug 1) most of the antlers are hardened up in the velvet on Kodiak and adjoining islands. Once in a while you'll find one that's a little soft, but not usually. One time a couple buddies and I got three on opening day and when we tried to drag them by the antlers, the velvet came right off and the antlers were hard, so if you want to mount one in velvet, be very careful in handling the heads.

Default High Horse??

Quote Originally Posted by Utahhunter View Post
    Yes, I know you don't shoot an aminal just for the horns. That wasn't may question. I've also had sitka deer meat and loved. If I go to kodiak the 1st week of August, I liked to mount the deer in velvet if the horn is not develope I won't beable to mount it. IF that is the case I like to go later in August. So, get off your high horse.

I would like some help to my first question about the horn growth at this time of yea,r from anyone that has shot a deer during this time of year.
    I have asked quite a few questions on this board and have gotten many helpfull answers. There are alot of very knowledgable people here. The point was that blacktails are small horned compared to other north American species and most people just hunt them for the meat. I generally find when asking for assistance it is best not to insult those willing to help. After your "high horse" comment I wouldn't feel inclined to help you even I hunted them every day of every hunting season for the last 15 years!

Thanks for the help guys, minus AKDUCKS and LuJon. Some people just like to raise hell, whatever.

Looks, like I'll be heading up to Kodiak or POW the first week of August this year. Thanks again to all those that help me with my question.

only deer i've shot that were the size of a dog were does, some healthy sized bucks coming off kodiak, heck of alot bigger than any dog i've ever owned. coues deer...now thats a small deer. alaska's black tails are so underated just because they don't have racks like the big mulie or whitetail...hard to explain to someone that its NOT a mulie or a whitetail. (i know subspeices this and that), but i'm a beliver that the sitka black tail is the prettiest deer going....hands down, ugliest...has to go to whitetail and all their cousins.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default My "Little" Sitka

This is my largest, but have shot 5-6 that come close.

This one on the scale was 178 lbs. with head, skin and legs cut off.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-09-2008 at 10:38.

That deer has the weirdest looking color ever? Doesnt look like a normal sitka?

November buck off Cleveland Peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    That being said, I have seen a few decent bucks(for blacktails anyway). -Eric
    I doubt it, after reading the german shepherd comment...

Default Dave

Look at the picture and doubt no more!

I looked at the picture. Nice buck.

My comment wasn't directed at you. Obviously lab man has never seen a decent buck, or he'd never have made the dog comment.

I don't doubt you've seen some nice bucks. With you, it's the reading comprehension thing I'm not too sure about...grin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast