Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Thickness Reports

from my experiance finger lake is one of the last ones for the valley due to current i use an under water camera in the deep spots as soon as it freezes you can see the current due to all the mud moveing in deep areas id bet one more week should be safe to go a lil ways if not all the way on foot i personaly have major respect for the ice and stay off tell i know its great not just ok

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    was just at big lake guy said about 8" at north shore and theres a few car tracks already on the lake just not mine yet!!!
    There is always some one who goes through the ice on that lake every winter. I refuse to take my vehicle on that like till they plow the ice roads with he graders. To many springs in that lake to go out early.

I am always safe on the ice dont feel like taking a swim for some fish. thanks for the Info

diamond lake (near big lake) is over a foot thick, camped on big lake sat night and it was 8-10 inches thick about 75 yards from shore.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Default Re: Ice Thickness Reports

Spirit lake on the Peninsula had 4"
    This morning.
    A couple of hours and this is what I got. A limit of Kokanee ( OK Muttley landlocked salmon ).
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    This morning.
    A couple of hours and this is what I got. A limit of Kokanee ( OK Muttley landlocked salmon ).
    Nice.... I really miss fishin that lake for kokanee

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    This morning.
    HOw big are those? Love them kokanee!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    HOw big are those? Love them kokanee!
    The biggest one on the top there only went 16".
    Thank god I had my flasher though. At least half of those fish came in 5' off the bottom. So i was catching fish on the bottom then a flsh on the screen up higher alerted me. Reeled up to the fish and caught one there. Then they were on the bottom again only to repeat it again.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I went and fished big lake by the boat launch on the south side off south shore road Nov 11 and there was only 2.5 - 3 inches of ice and I could see a line off to the left looked wet and maybe alittle open water. This wasn't the state park that's closed but the boat launch farther west that you can drive right to the water. Be safe fishing anyone goes to that area. I don't why it's so much less there then other spots on big lake.

Are you talking about the one thats a few miles past where the speed limit drops from 45-30? Biglake has some springs all over that lake, not to uncommon to find "shallow" spots in the ice. Thats why I dont drive on it till I see them plowing the ice roads and see the oil trucks delivering oil out via the lake lol.

i bet he is talking about the back side of the lake wich would be were you are thinking as well steep hill to the launch but that side is always last to freeze and even when they plow the roads i dont venture off them over there due to so many thin spots over there i have found 6 inches when the most of the lake was 2 foot

Ya, I know when the lake starts to freeze there are certain areas on the road up on the Hills where you can actually see the east half of the lake froze over and the west side still completely open.

Pretty sure its the boat launch you speak of. It was a steep hill down into it. There were a couple small islands off to the left and looked like the ice was thinner over there.

yep thats it thats the deep end of the lake carefull over there still yet

Oh I was. I was pretty startled when I first put a hole about 40 - 50 feet off shore and she went through in 2-3 inches of ice. I grabbed my sled and headed back rather careful. So Big Lake is safe to fish now, just on the north and eastern side more so then where I was? Good Pike fishing in there?

dont know if its good pike fishing but there big and yes the north side is great rite now 13" last i heard not my hole and yep i always drill holes as i go when i first go to a new spot, as sounds new winter spot for you, maybe next time give it a try go out 5 ft and go from there. save you a pair of shorts

harding lake has over flow from snow this past wk.50 yards out and 100 and 300 ice is very week. Heard a crack and watch 100yards of ice split. Feet got wet and i turned back. This was even with 20 below temps. Be safe

hows that matanuska lake looking for thickness and fishing? looking for a quick easy take the kids fishing lake for the weekend by palmer.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    harding lake has over flow from snow this past wk.50 yards out and 100 and 300 ice is very week. Heard a crack and watch 100yards of ice split. Feet got wet and i turned back. This was even with 20 below temps. Be safe
    That's always a way to check your pulse... Hate hearing that, means it's going to take awhile, as I am associating this with Lake Louise as well, even though they are not very close, snow is snow. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like last year all over again

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    hows that matanuska lake looking for thickness and fishing? looking for a quick easy take the kids fishing lake for the weekend by palmer.
    matanuska lake was fished out by the russians.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast