Thread: .270 to big for Dogs and Cats?

Default .270 to big for Dogs and Cats?

Trying to not have to buy a new gun ( don't ask me why.) But i have a .270 used to deer hunting in GA. Just wondering if thats to large of a round for fox, coyotes and lynx?

You could try some FMJ and see what you think but if your trying to keep fur I suspect you'll be disapointed in the results. If you handload you could slow down some FMJ and perhaps be pleased.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Killed a coyote with the .270 two weeks ago. Extreme fur damage on the exit wound side.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

was a gent shooting yotes with his 300Wm on the KP not long ago... and his looked fine.. pics are in this forum somewhere..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I found some factory 100 grn Remingtons I was gonna try with mine last year but never got the chance. They are core lok though and I have a feeling they would still be a bit much.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

boy there's so many what rifle threads I'd start reading. reality is there are very few if any out of the box calibers that are really fur friendly. And none ecompass a 150lb wolf to a 10lb fox. I love my 17hmr for dogs and cats but they cant be 150 yards out. I did push it last fall and shoot a coyote at 150 and killed him dead, shot placement is key with a light pill! Reloading is almost an absolute must if you're really going to do it successfully with any of the fur calibers!

There are so many options out there but atleast in my book a 270 would be about not on the list at all LOL not that its not possible. Its that if a good cat did step out I doubt I'd shoot it for fear of ruining a $500 hide!

Something to think about if you you're killing furbearers!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I found some factory 100 grn Remingtons I was gonna try with mine last year but never got the chance. They are core lok though and I have a feeling they would still be a bit much.
    Thats exactly what we used, 100 gr core-lok. The shot was about 50 yards and it tore it up bad. We weren't looking for predators, just an incidental find.

didnt think of this but if you DID blow one up to bad to repair....a shoulder pedistal mount is a stunning thing! have seen some fox/wolves/lynx done up like this from this very issue and they came out fantastic!

Too bad they don't make accelerator ammo any more.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

well I guess that about sums it up,
    Thinking of saving up for a 22-250 or .223

Thanks guys

Just brew your own. Thanks to the 6.8SPC, there are now .277 FMJ bullets on the market. Here's some 115 grain that would fit the bill nicely...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...l-metal-jacket

Although it never hurts to buy more guns.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Just brew your own. Thanks to the 6.8SPC, there are now .277 FMJ bullets on the market. Here's some 115 grain that would fit the bill nicely...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...l-metal-jacket
    Now THAT looks like the ticket...!!! (but they didn't get very good reviews I see)...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I got a pile of speer 90TNT's for my 6.8spc and it occurred to me that I could have loaded them in my (now sold) 270wsm to about a million fps! I wonder what could be done with the 95ttsx in the 270. I sure wouldn't know where to start with powder choice

If you reload, I'd try some 110gr TSX bullets and avoid bone. Would be curious in the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If you reload, I'd try some 110gr TSX bullets and avoid bone. Would be curious in the results.
    Results are bad. 7mm TSX's (less than .01" difference in bullet diameter) make biiig holes...

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    But i have a .270 used to deer hunting in GA. Just wondering if thats to large of a round for fox, coyotes and lynx?
    yes, it'll tear them up something fierce... brew some Trail Boss loads to slow down some FMJs to under 2000fps and you'll have some useful range and not destroy the pelt.

But buying another gun isn't the end of the world...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

a 270 will killum.........Duckdon