Thread: Browning A-5

Default Browning A-5

So, I have an A-5 3" magnum with the full choke barrel. I inherited from my Grandma. It is in decent shape, but certainly not in collector condition so I figured I'd try to get some use out of it. I've been told not to shoot steel through it, but I was wondering if I can shoot Hevi-Shot through it for coyotes this winter? Or, do I just need to make sure I shoot lead only? Thanks!

Stick with lead or Bismuth
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You really don't want to shoot steel out of an older full choke.....you'll probably bulge the barrel. Stick with the softer stuff through an old classic like that...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Re: Browning A-5

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    So, I have an A-5 3" magnum with the full choke barrel. I inherited from my Grandma. It is in decent shape, but certainly not in collector condition so I figured I'd try to get some use out of it. I've been told not to shoot steel through it, but I was wondering if I can shoot Hevi-Shot through it for coyotes this winter? Or, do I just need to make sure I shoot lead only? Thanks!
    You have the option of having the choke opened up to a modified as well. I wouldn't go shooting 20,000 rounds through it. Most hunting guns don't really get shot that much. With a modified you could shot some steel though

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hevi shot should be okay through a full choke. If you want I could ream that choke out for you, be about 50$ and a week or less turnaround. With the choke opened it will be safe for steel and my reamer opens the choke to approximately IM with steel and a light modified when using lead. That is the constriction I prefer for most of my upland shooting. I could also lengthen your forcing cone while we're in there to lessen recoil and improve pattern density.
    Or you could get a newer Japanese made barrel for the gun in a different choke constriction, Midwest Gunworks may have some but they will probably set you back 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

For coyotes why not just use buckshot? Alaska is not a steel only state except for ducks and geese type federal stuff.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think that is what I'll do. I like the full choke, so don't really want to open it up. Perhaps a box of #4 Buck is what I'll do.

That should work.If you want more pellets even BB's or 2's could be used.Do some reading up on the A-5 to make sure you keep the recoil ring set for the loads used.

Oh, good reminder. I remember switching it before for light loads. I better freshen my memory on that again and adjust.