Thread: 9 wire cutters?

Question 9 wire cutters?

What are you guys using for cutting your 9 wire? I must be getting old, as cutting that stuff with a regular wire cutter is kicking my butt. Thanks for the insight!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I have a set of sheet metal cutters that I use that goes through it no problem. Think I got them from AIH

9" Klein linemans pliers is what our scaffold builders on the slope use.
    They use a lot of 9 wire to secure scaffold planks.
    Usually the rubber is removed from one of the handles as it is used to twist the wire.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I went 100% away from #9 wire. I use 1/8" cable now with a basic set of cable cutters a hand swager, and an S hook tool. This is really nice! There isn't a fur bearer in AK that will break 1/8" cable. Second, when I cable my traps to a tree and attach the chain with an S hook you need more than just a basic set of wire cutters to steal my trap. I learned this the hard way loosing traps. I know a bunch of guys have switched over to this method because it works really well. Good luck this season, keep us posted on the snow in your area!

Great info, for sure. I have both the sheet metal cutters and lineman's pliers around the lodge somewhere, so I'll see what I can find. Great idea on the 1/8" cable, Teacherman. I might look into that. I don't have a problem with anyone stealing my traps up here, but that sounds like it might be easier to deal with than the 9 wire. I'll try both this winter. Adding a lot of miles to the line this season.

Snow is still minimal, and atv's is still the best way to get around. Hoping that changes soon, but I guess I won't complain if I can get a good part of my line out with the atv. We'll see how conditions are on the 10th.

Good luck out there this winter, everyone!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i found a FOLDING set of bolt cutters that work great on the 9 wire and small chain for drags... about 28 bucks at sentry hardware...

the handles fold down from 20" to about 11... and fit in the bag nicely
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Get some lineman's pliers. Will cut right through it.