Thread: Source for 1x6 T&G lumber

Default Source for 1x6 T&G lumber

I framed up my 16x28 cabin this summer and will be working on the interior this winter. I wanted to use something similar to 1" x 6" tongue and groove knotty pine for the interior walls. Does anyone have a recommended source where I could buy it at a decent price? Thanks!

Where are you located?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There is a mill in Kenney Lake, SERPA. I bought mine there, great people.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I live in Eagle River. The cabin is in the Big Lake area.

Call Jerry, 345-3323.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    There is a mill in Kenney Lake, SERPA. I bought mine there, great people.
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with Kenney Lake. Google Earth shows a Kenney Lake on the Edgerton Highway south of Copper Center. Is that the same place? If so, I'm afraid that's a little too far for me, but I appreciate the reply.

Try SBS, they usually have it.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

There's been a guy on Craig's list lately selling a bunch of different types of lumber including T&G. Might check there under "materials." The pictures look like it's good stuff but haven't checked it out in person.

SBS, Lowes, and Home Depot all have it. My store also does, but we are a bit north for you.

Last time I was buying it I tried Lowes and Home Depot. One had discontinued carrying it and the other had lots. I think it was Home Depot that still had it but can't say for certain. I found better material at the Tudor store so if you don't like what you see try another location. They also carried the same T&G in cedar. I did a sunroom in that. Very nice.

If you have ever seen Cottonwood T&G you would think about using that.Poppert Milling at mile 49 Parks carries it. I have it in my house it is great looking material.Mine is done on a diagonal the color and tone of the Cottenwood gives a soft and warm feeling to the room.One wall is 19ft.high so there is a lot of exposed wood. They kiln dryed so you have very little shrinkage. They make it in three different sizes .

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I'll try to check out as many of those places as I can this weekend.

One more question. What's the best way to install the T&G on walls? Start at floor level with the tongue side up and blind nail through the tongue at an angle?

Anyway you want, as long as the tongue is up! If the roof ever leaks you don't want the water to stand in the grove.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

In a perfect world blind nailing would be great. In the real world you'll find many boards will be cupped and/or twisted and will require face nails. Same if longer boards are bowed. Sometimes a blind nail will split the wood and not hold the board. You just have to deal with the conditions as they arise. Sherwood Williams makes a good acrylic water based clear finish. No smell, easy to apply, looks nice. If you need to fill nail holes you just can't bear to look at do it after you clear seal the wood. Have fun with the project.

Air brad nailer. Only way to fly.

I've pulled triggers on air nailers all my life. For my own paneling project I used a DeWalt battery powered finish nailer. Great tool.

Some guys use the brushed cedar paneling at SBS very spendy but goes up fast and looks about as good as T&G. also T&G is about 40% less at home depot than at loses for some reason. Been buying it at home depot lately.

Too late now, but to reduce the cupping and twist you should treat both side of the wood equally. Only treating the exposed side and it becomes more stable than the untreated side. The untreated side accepts and releases moisture quickly, thus the instability.

i love cottonwood, i would like to see that cotton wood tg u put up. got a pic?
    Semper Fi!

do yourself a favor and ACCLIMATE and dry the t&G to your cabin for at least a week or two before you install. And make sure you seperate the stack with scrap wood so air can flow around it.. If you do not all your seems will likely open up and not look as good as when you install it. Blind nail works well..still will have to put a few surface nails here and there.. if you have to have joints dont cut them square,miter them so if they move there wont be a black gap between boards.. On walls its up to you..bottom or top just measure distance from board to ceiling or floor constantly to keep straight.. If boards are warped you can whack your catspaw into a stud and use as leverage to pull down the board to straighten.. As far as the T&G a few have been named but some of the nicest I seen was birch but cant recalll where it was purchased.