Thread: Boat build: Rear Binnacle? TR-1? Both?

Default Boat build: Rear Binnacle? TR-1? Both?

We're looking into having a ~28-30' pilothouse built for use out of Valdez. Regardless of manufacturer, it will have twin outboards and a kicker. Of course an option is a rear binnacle/station.

We have no desire to control the mains from the rear binnacle, but to be able to steer the kicker from the fish deck while trolling for salmon would be nice. In looking at the Garmin TR-1, isn't it essentially serving the same purpose?

For those of you with a rear station, would a TR-1 be beneficial and make the binnacle obsolete? For those with a TR-1, do you wish you had an actual steering wheel and throttle to use at times?

I guess what I'm looking for is:

"Don't rely solely on the TR-1, get the binnacle controls"
    or
    "Don't waste your money on the rear binnacle, the TR-1 will serve that purpose"
    or
    "Get both"

I appreciate you input, Thanks!!!

I have a TR1 Gold on my SS Pilothouse, and I also have rear controls for the main and kicker. I really like having both because often times I will want to move the boat with the main engine (shrimping, short moves, docking etc..) and I don't want to have to deal with the kicker(lifting,priming and starting) . But, I must admit that the TR1 is very nice if you are trolling or running on the kicker. It has a remote control that allows you to steer and have throttle control from anywhere on the boat. Also, another great feature is that it has a compass heading unit that locks on to your current heading and will stay on course while using the remote, not to mention all of the other neat features that it is capable of. It is a little pricey, but I would suggest both for you. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    We're looking into having a ~28-30' pilothouse built for use out of Valdez. Regardless of manufacturer, it will have twin outboards and a kicker. Of course an option is a rear binnacle/station.

We have no desire to control the mains from the rear binnacle, but to be able to steer the kicker from the fish deck while trolling for salmon would be nice. In looking at the Garmin TR-1, isn't it essentially serving the same purpose?

For those of you with a rear station, would a TR-1 be beneficial and make the binnacle obsolete? For those with a TR-1, do you wish you had an actual steering wheel and throttle to use at times?

I guess what I'm looking for is:

"Don't rely solely on the TR-1, get the binnacle controls"
    or
    "Don't waste your money on the rear binnacle, the TR-1 will serve that purpose"
    or
    "Get both"

I appreciate you input, Thanks!!!
    We've installed the TR-1 and it's a great system but it is Expensive! It's a great system but it does come at a big cost. As an option you may want to check out the Intellisteer system. We've installed two of these so far and they worked great for less then half the cost of the TR-1. It's steering only with no throttle control but the system is simple and has been built proof thus far. The latest version has a wireless option and installation is relatively simple.

I don't know anything about the TR-1's but from what i'm reading here and have just googled i think they are a auto pilot for the outboard kicker? correct ? looks like they cost around a couple of grand and thats for a kicker auto pilot??? if it were me and i was spending 2k i'd just go for a few bucks more and install a real autopilot on the boat, like a Simrad. Hook the kicker to the main outboards and that Simrad auto pilot will do everything you want plus more. One thing i can tell you for sure is go for a complete outside steering helm and controls, nothing like being able to control the boat from the job site and if somebody goes overboard your right there to pick them right up and not run them over. Good luck with the boat building and stop by my booth at the Fairbanks Outdoors Show this spring and tell me what your having built.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I did something similar to what Potbuilder is saying this fall. I added a Garmin GHP10 autopilot, and it controls both my main and the kicker. I have not had time to tune it out at low speeds yet, but right now it works great on the main but only so-so on the kicker at trolling speeds. Both the main and the kicker are hooked up to the hydraulic steering, and I have a hydraulic switch to change between the two. I agree with the previous post that says using the main from the rear station is a plus, both for moving between pots and holding position while pulling pots in the wind.

Another advantage of a kicker on the main is even with twin motors, if you lose one you will be coming back slow, so the autopilot makes it more bareable.

The Simrad that Potbuilder mentioned is suppose to be the gold standard for controlling both the main and the kicker. The advantage of the Garmin GHP10 is that if you have a Garmin GPS, you can use the autoguidance option, and it will automatically plot a course from Montague all the way to Whittier, and then engage the autopilot and make all of the turns for you. Pretty slick, but it still does not correct for logs or other boats, so you still have to pay attention.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I'm going to be installing a Simrad AP28 w/a jog lever on my rig this winter, should be hydraulic nightmare, at least i don't have to plumb in hydro pump for the pilot because i can use the one that runs off the back of my transmission all i need is a solenoid valve to run the pilot. Still going to be a oily slippery mess. If i can figure out how to make the pilot do half the stuff it can do i'll consider myself lucky.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692