Thread: Hornady 300 XTP for Blackies

Default Hornady 300 XTP for Blackies

Has any one used the 44 mag Hornady 300 XTPs for hunting blackies? I will be rolling my own using 19 gr. of Winchester 296. If you have a better recipe feel free to share. I am plannning on keeping all shots under 25 yards, more like 14 if they play nice and stop at my bait.

Default 44 mag loads

I like using a 300-305 grain HARDcast wide flat nose gas check bullet over 21 grains of 296, Winchester brass and primers, heavy crimp. Good penetration, tissue damage.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Has any one used the 44 mag Hornady 300 XTPs for hunting blackies? I will be rolling my own using 19 gr. of Winchester 296. If you have a better recipe feel free to share. I am plannning on keeping all shots under 25 yards, more like 14 if they play nice and stop at my bait.
    Advantage number three for hardcast: Velocity will be 50-100 fps faster with cast over jacketed at the same pressure (less friction).

That would be fun to get that close.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Tested Blackie Load

This has worked real well for me on blackies out of a 629 smith. 300gr Sierra JSP over 21.6 grains of WW296 they were right at 1100fps

Woody

Thumbs up Speer 270gr GDSP

Excellent bullet along with the Speer 270gr Gold DOT SP in the 44 Mag. for Black Bear.........I suggest a bullet that will expand some!
    Alaska

Default Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    I suggest a bullet that will expand some!
    I agree. I watched a 320 hardcast cut through a blackie at 18 yards and keep going. .429 in and .429 out. Really pissed him off but no real damage to anything. Bears are so light skinned and easy to kill that a little expansion is a good thing. The 300 XTP or 300 Sierra should both do well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't speak from experience, but in theory, so please keep that in mind.
    I think the 300XTP would be a great bullet for what you describe. Speer 27 Gold Dot soft point as mentioned too.
    That said, when I was packing mine for the purpose you mention last year I was packing 300 gr hardcast because of the large # of brownies in the area. I don't want a soft bullet if I need the gun for them.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

In my experience with deer down here, the XTP's open up pretty fast and don't do real well when encountering bone. You would be OK with the XTP if you pick your shot carefully, but I would go with a tough JSP or better yet, a good hard cast.

In my 44 Mag Mountain Gun, I use Oregon Trail Laser Cast 240 grain Flat Points for everything from just shooting to hunting. penetrates like mad, garaunteed not to lead (these babies are HARD!), and economical. You can get them heavier if you figure you need it. For all around Alaska use I probably would go heavier. Not really needed down here, so I save a bit of wear & tear on the gun with the 240's.

BTW, I like Laser Cast's 350 grain Flat Points in my 45/70 Guide Gun, best of everything I've tried. Now there is some impressive thump & penetration!...
    Last edited by NDTerminator; 04-29-2007 at 06:30.

Thumbs up Norma 240 FN

If you can find some Norma 240 FN that is a excellent bullet in the 44 Mag.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I agree. I watched a 320 hardcast cut through a blackie at 18 yards and keep going. .429 in and .429 out. Really pissed him off but no real damage to anything. Bears are so light skinned and easy to kill that a little expansion is a good thing. The 300 XTP or 300 Sierra should both do well.
    Ya, know, I'm a big proponent of hardcast for handgun hunting and critter defense but, I will have to admit, a well made heavy JSP in the 44 mag can do a good job on deer and small blackies. Not the 240-250 grain hollowpoints that have an uncertain future at impact but something heavier and slower. I do not think much of the XTP in 44 or 45 caliber. The 300 grain Sierra JSP or even their 250 grain FPJ, are better performers.

The only reason a 320 hardcast wouldn't do much damage is if it was through something non vital. It is a 44 caliber hole and it is deep and it will leave an exit wound. So what ever is in it's path will be perforated. The rest is up to the shooter.

Do you think the results would have been much different with a softpoint? Are you saying your bear got away with a hole, I mean two holes in him?
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-20-2007 at 07:13.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I am going to try the Sierras and the XTPs. Hopefully I will see enough bears to compare the 2 bullets . Have a good one.

Thumbs up Norma 44 FNSP

Rob Peterson of (Peterson Hunting Mag and Hot Rod) back in the early 60's with a S&W Nickle 29 with 8 3/8" barrel shot 5 of the biggest animals in Alaska with the handload of 22.0 of 2400 and the Norma 240 FNSP bullets and Large Pistol Primers (Elmer Kieth Loaded for him).......one was a polar bear. I use this load often in my RSB.
    Alaska

I have broad experience with the 300 XTP, but not on black bear. I've dinged lots of deer, one elk, one moose and a couple of caribou with it out of an assortment of guns in addition to 44 mag handgun (1100-1200fps), representing a MV range from around 800 fps (44 special) to around 2000 fps (in a muzzleloader with sabot) a little over 2300 fps (wildcat cartridge).

In general terms, you'll get some expansion on deer inside 50 yards at your velocities, increasing as you get closer, but little or none beyond 50. Push the impact velocity over about 1800 fps and expansion gets violent. The Speer 300 is only a little better at that velocity.

Based upon experience with black bear and other cartridges, I'd guess you will get pretty ideal expansion from a handgun at your 18 yard range, with the bullet upsetting enough for noticeable tissue damage, yet holding together well enough for very good penetration. I'd be truly amazed if you didn't get through-and-through penetration with a sizeable exit hole on a broadside shot at that range. Full penetration would probably hold up well beyond that with a corresponding falloff in expansion as range increased, however.

Let us know how it works out for you!

BrownBear,

In your experience that you describe with the 300gr XTP, how often did they shed or retain their jackets?

Thanks!

Dean

I've never lost a jacket with the 300 XTP as far as I can tell, Dean. I whapped a deer broadside through the lungs at about 30 yards using my wildcat (2350 fps MV), and the exit hole was about the size of my fist. I looked pretty carefully and didn't find anything left behind, so I'm guessing that it held together even as it toasted those sweet ribs beyond recovery.

It's a good bullet, and if it it holds together at almost twice the velocity you can manage with your handgun, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about using it.

As a matter of fact, the only handgun bullet I've ever had shed a jacket was the Remington 240 HP in a handload that pushed it to about 1500 from a Contender. Whacked a deer at about 10 yards and found the jacket under the offside ribs and just to the side of the main wound channel. Exit hole was nonetheless impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Do you think the results would have been much different with a softpoint? Are you saying your bear got away with a hole, I mean two holes in him?
    No the bear stayed put tearing up anything it thought was the supplier of the pain. But the hit was in the shoulder/bones. Then it had to be hit again as it was just not dying. There is nothing up there that is vital. A bears organs are a little farther back than most people think.

After seeing so many animals die from arrows in the lungs in way under 30 seconds, it just might be better to place a hollow point there as well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012