Thread: unit 13

Default unit 13

I was out rabbit hunting on saturday for about an hour up in unit 13. I was doing some scouting and saw some lynx tracks up there and was wondering if any of you guys have done well trapping up in unit 13 for lynx? It is a long drive for me so i don't know that it would be well worth the time to do it or not.

Sorry need to specify unit 13A

Supporting Member

Anything along the road system in any direction gets hammered for cats. You have to be willing and able to get back off the road on snowshoes or with a snow machine in order not to be trapping on top of other trappers.

Default unit 13

Only one way up find out, right?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Anything along the road system in any direction gets hammered for cats. You have to be willing and able to get back off the road on snowshoes or with a snow machine in order not to be trapping on top of other trappers.

What they said! Can be good but with the price of fuel its not something you want to do for just a couple road sets. It gets hit very hard and I find my sets run about 5% catch rate per check.

I don't want to trap ontop of anybody but do you think it would be fine to go up there and do some calling and hope to shoot some even though there are trappers in the same area?

Default unit 13

I wouldn't trap on top of another guy but I wouldn't hesitate to call in any area. I don't trap and have no experience with it but to me a good set is one you don't see or would have to look for.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    ? It is a long drive for me so i don't know that it would be well worth the time to do it or not.
    The key here is how you define "worth the time". If you can enjoy your time in the woods without successfully calling in a critter, then it will most certainly be worth your time. Your odds should be decent since Unit 13 numbers have been good the past few years, but the hare population has crashed and according to the trapping reports I read last year, the lynx population is already starting to follow suit. That said, if you've already found tracks, you've certainly got some animals in the area. Predator calling in Alaska is always a low-odds game, even in areas with good numbers of animals. If you enjoy the experience even without really good odds, then go give it a try.

Well to be honest with you guys i do have my heart set out to get a lynx this year. I have never successfully trapped anything except some coons and rats. When i saw the tracks for the Lynx my mind started going like crazy of how i might be able to get one this year. To me the Lynx is a very elusive and rare animal and i would love to get me one this year. So if i had a decent chance at a lynx it would be well worth my time.

Default unit 13

Then you'll hafta be willing to burn gas and put your feet on the ground.

That's how you find places to hunt. Focus more on gettin out, catchin somethin is a bonus.

I had the same goal for the past few years. Something about lynx just captured my imagination unlike any other animal. I tried unsuccessfully for a couple of years and burnt a lot of gas, then suddenly lightning struck and I called in two in the exact same spot 48 hours apart. If I broke it down to dollars spent it wouldn't even come close to being worth it, but I enjoyed every minute of the process (well...most of it...some of the days without were bitter cold and/or wet, but that's Alaska), and the success was very sweet once it happened.

On a side note, the population might be down a bit, but it's certainly not going to get any better for the next few years, so I'd do your best to make as many calling trips as possible this winter.

If the rabbits have crashed hard, the remaining lynx will be eager to get a hot injured rabbit. They usually sneak up slowly even when hungry. A moving decoy really helps; be it a mojo or a large feather/wing blowing in the breeze. The trick is to remain motionless so the decoy takes their attention. Scent is not nearly as much an issue as with canines. Good luck.
    PC gag in place.