Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bag for the Buck$$$

Default Best Bag for the Buck$$$

So I was wondering what you guys think the Best Bag for the buck in sleeping bags is.....Keeping in mind light weight packable for sheep and other later season hunts maybe be Caribou/Goat.....

MH Ultralamina 15 is on sale for 149$ free shipping to AK right now at campmor.com. 2lb 14oz, synthetic, 15 degree bag, packs down very small, pretty hard to beat for the price.

Timber Smith's slightly used Western Mountaineering bag in the Classified section on this forum....great bag, great deal.

After a lot of disappointing night's sleep- I pretty much use either a Wiggy's or a WM...not cheap but "Best for Buck" frequently isn't.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'll second the Wiggy's bags.

A third vote for Wiggy's.

I'll remind you that the proper sleeping bag will save your life and it's not the place to think about saving a few bucks.

Not trying to deviate and stray a topic, but for such an important piece of equipment personally I wouldn't limit myself to price.

You get what you pay for and freezing your ass off in a wet bag sucks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Without a good tent even the best bag has problems.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by justin262 View Post
    MH Ultralamina 15 is on sale for 149$ free shipping to AK right now at campmor.com. 2lb 14oz, synthetic, 15 degree bag, packs down very small, pretty hard to beat for the price.
    I have this exact bag. 15 degree's is probably the lower end, comfortable is about 20-25, with a bag liner 15 is comfortable, at least for me. I think its a great bag for the price, and works well for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Without a good tent even the best bag has problems.
    my thoughts exactly..... so the obvious next question..... what is the best tent for the money? i have a REI hoodoo, bought on sale. shoulda bought a hilleburg right?

Quote Originally Posted by justin262 View Post
    I've got this one too. Very light for a synthetic, packs small, warmer than most. Good when wet (I've tested it). I've also used it down to 20-25 in comfort. It's cut fairly trim, so if you like room to roll or are a big guy you might not care for it. I've found it a great bag.

Yk

Nope buy the best you can of anything without hurting the family budgit. Know what your gear and you can handle and don't push it. Things happen and even with the best of everything (cost,name) people have died do to weather. If folks made it a hundred year ago with a bit of canvas and wool blanket anything extra today is gravy.If your ok durning the day any bag will work if unexpected cold hits and you just keep your clothing on.
    Look at some of Strangers overnight camping pics and you will get it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

... and there's nothing wrong with setting up the tent and sleeping bags in the yard and give them a tryout. Much better to learn some of the limitations/weaknesses of gear (boots, socks, clothes, windbreakers, tents, and sleeping bags) near the finer comforts of plan B than relying on them when afield for their first time.

BTW - We have great weather for testing those systems now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    ... and there's nothing wrong with setting up the tent and sleeping bags in the yard and give them a tryout. Much better to learn some of the limitations/weaknesses of gear (boots, socks, clothes, windbreakers, tents, and sleeping bags) near the finer comforts of plan B than relying on them when afield for their first time.

BTW - We have great weather for testing those systems now.
    This is great info many learned as little kids. Many of my early life camping trips ended around midnight when the porch light was off and the tent proved to be way to dark for the noise.Regretfully all the police reports stated no monster found but even now I listen for it.

Go with Wiggys. I've always bought cheap bags. Went with a Wiggys and can now sleep through the night AND get clothes dried. It's a hell of a difference and Mark Taylor off on old seward and dimond at Wiggys there is a wealth of knowledge.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

A few things about sleeping bags. With down now they have treated down (big agnes and marmot I think) that makes them more resistant to moisture supposedly so that’s a thought. With synthetic, the best and warmest I found is Wiggys and this Fall is went to bed soaking (no spare clothes) and did wake up dry after a wet night. They are heavier and bulkier but others aren’t true to temperature rating so it’s a tradeoff. Kifaru just came out with a “slickbag” but it costs four times what a Wiggys does and is made of climashield which is the most common sleeping bag filler out there so that hardly justifies the hefty price. The benefit is it’s lighter and less bulkier than most synthetic bags but this usually translates to a lot colder bag. Have someone explain to you how less fill actually keeps your warmer. For example, I have a really nice synthetic snug pack that is super light and made with foil filaments that reflects heat and keeps me warm in any temp ………..as long as its inside one of my other bags!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Go with Wiggys. I've always bought cheap bags. Went with a Wiggys and can now sleep through the night AND get clothes dried. It's a hell of a difference and Mark Taylor off on old seward and dimond at Wiggys there is a wealth of knowledge.
    I agree, wiggy's is the best bang for the buck. I really like the Glacier Hunter model myself. Temp rating of 15 degrees seems to be true for me, the 3 or 3.5 pounds is worth it on wet coastal hunts. I'll go down most of the time, but on fly outs and coastal hunts I'll bring the wiggy's along.

Another vote for Wiggy's.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I agree, wiggy's is the best bang for the buck. I really like the Glacier Hunter model myself. Temp rating of 15 degrees seems to be true for me, the 3 or 3.5 pounds is worth it on wet coastal hunts. I'll go down most of the time, but on fly outs and coastal hunts I'll bring the wiggy's along.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic. Even when I fly in with my down gear the Glacier Hunter makes the trip and hangs out at the strip as long as I have the weight allowance to take it.

I'm going to have to throw in another for the MH ultralamina 15 (long.) I got one of those and don't regret it a bit. Coupled with a good sleeping pad it is great for me. I've taken it out the last couple weekends with temps down to the 20's at night. Not cold in the slightest. I also sleep with all of my clothes on though. That usually consists of merino wool long johns, light pants, socks, and a shirt or two.

I also roll around a lot, side sleeper, and am fairly large (6' 230lbs...)

Quote Originally Posted by Talcott View Post
    I'll second the Wiggy's bags.
    Ditto that I have one and slept in drizzel and stayed warm. Talk to Mark down by the mall on Old Seward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast