Thread: Lures

Default Lures

I have started to collect my lures for my trip to the Naknek river on the 7th of July.I now have a few mag warts in two colors orange and pink.I am looking for a chrome and blue,but had no luck finding one.Does anyone use a drifferent brand crankbait?I am also looking at the pixie spoons,but I am not sure on the colors, silver or gold, and which center color to use?Also what weight?As you can see I have very little knowlege on the type of lures to bring.Any info on other lures would be very helpfull .

Thanks Rusty

Hey Rusty,
    Are you going to be fishing from a boat or the beach? You might want to have some #6 TeeSpoons spinners also some #6 Super Vibrax spinners, both in Hot pink with silver or Chartruese and silver. FatFish is another crankbait that you can find some good colors and don't forget red and silver.

Where you going to be staying?

George

Default Killer stuff...

I swear by the arsenal manufactured by Tony Davis of Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle. He runs a one-man operation and his stuff are works of art. Tony's line caters to the spin fisherman.

I'll be doing an article about this "Sultan of the Sea" when I join him in Afognak in late July. Visit his website at http://www.kodiakcustom.com.

You will be amazed...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Actually tony puts an army of hatchery workers to work making his lures, which is great because my girlfriend works at that hatchery and brings me back her "payment" (tons of great spinners!) He also makes excelent halibut stuff too.

As for lures
    I'd reccomend jigs fished under a float if the fish are in a negative mood!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Rusty,
    I assume you'll be fishing kings out of a boat? If so then get some mag warts in various colors...green and blue herring bone, silver/chartruse, blue pirate, etc. I never had much success there using the solid orange and pink ones. A K16 kwikfish is similar colors as above will be effective as well. +1 on the #6 vibrax spinners. I prefer to change out all the factory hooks on my lures with Gamagatsu (sp?). Single 2/0 or 3/0 Swiswash hooks for the spinners and trebles for the plugs. Have fun its a really cool river and don't forget about looking for some 'bows too.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the help.I hope the url works that I am adding.They are the colors of the Mag Warts,if you guys would look at the colors and make suggestion on which ones....I#6 Super Vibrax spinners are now on my list also.Thanks guys for everything.Rusty

George, I am staying at Antlers inn.You and I talked awhile back on the phone.You gave me tons of info that has helped.Thanks

http://www.stormlures.com/products/l...ame=hard_lures

I dont know what Alaska would be like without the Hot Pink Pixie. I know every person in Juneau has one somewhere near them at all times, wether they know it or not. Also, look into the Coho Bolo (pink and chartruese). I used to use them in my spinning days down in Petersburg and they were slammers.