Thread: Just got an AR Part Du...Range report

Default Just got an AR Part Du...Range report

The first dot is 5 rounds and the second one is 3 rounds..shot at 100 yrds today ..I tried 25.6 grs. of Benchmark which as it turns out (long story) is a max. load for the 55gr Hornady Vmax..col. 2.215..here's a couple of questions..the col. @2.215 reached almost to the end of the shoulder of the bullet (seated deep)..this load is listed at 50,000 cup with a col. of 2.200...am I building pressure and what is a good pressure load for my Rock River Predator Pursuit...I will not be putting tons of ammo through this gun..it's my varmint rifle and maybe a sometime zombie gun....any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0861.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	64996

Are you worried about the bullets touching the rifling if you load too long? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I've yet to find a .223 load that will hit the rifling on an AR and fit in the magazine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was worried about loading the bullet to short and having the bullet deeper in the case and increasing pressure...also I was wondering if 50,000 cup as a working load is to high and will the gun take a steady diet of that pressure...?

Nice shooting Skip.!!

55,000 is the upper limit for a .223, so you should be just fine. Load to the cartride OAL in the Hornady book and you will be fine. Are you using the Vmax with the cannelure?

Sure hope mine shoots like that!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    55,000 is the upper limit for a .223, so you should be just fine. Load to the cartride OAL in the Hornady book and you will be fine. Are you using the Vmax with the cannelure?
    No cannelure..the red tip sure looks cool...I think I will load the bullet out from the case a few thousandth (longer) and see how that shoots..as I understand it , pressure build-up is less with less bullet in the case (to a point)...the Hogdon web site shows Benchmark powder with 25.6 grains @ 55,000 cup and others in psi...what is cup compared to psi...???? is 55000 cup the same as 55000 psi..something tells me no...any thoughts or suggestions..?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    Nice shooting Skip.!!
    Thnx Joe..good luck bear hunting...be safe

You can load them out to 2.26 OAL. That's the max for good reliable feeding from an AR magazine.

thnx for all the info...

To add onto AKDoug's post: Measure (or fit loaded rounds) the mags. you are going to be using. I use a standard length of 2.260, but I have mags that measure longer inside, such as an AdventureLine 30 rd. at 2.293 The only plastic mags I have are some old RamLine Combo and they are a tight 2.274 inside.