Thread: Anyone have experience with the trekker diesel heater?

Default Anyone have experience with the trekker diesel heater?

How has this model perfromed in cabin tents, ice shacks, or cabins in the winter? I'm particularly interested in this model for ice fishing season, and nothing else really.

I have a arctic oven and started with a wood stove. I had a yukon wood stove for it. It was heavy and only burned for 1.5 to 2 hours before I had to stoke it. I got sick of stoking it so I bought a trekker stove. I thought it would be the cats meow. It is a great stove, but I always found a way to spill fuel oil some where in the tent. Then in turn it would stink up the tent ect. I sold it and got a nu-way propane stove. It is a ton easier to keep the tent clean. No ash or fuel to spill. Yes it is more expensive to run, but A bottle will last 3 to 5 days in the winter. I keep a little CO detector, and put it at head level in the tent for safety sake.

Wish I would've known about that heater being for sale. How many days could you run the unit without having to clean it? Did it function well? How long of a burn time could you get?

I would clean it every time I got home. I really only used it for weekend trips. I would go though a couple gallons maybe. I had a 5 gallon boat gas tank that I used and I would just top it off every time I went out. It worked well, but high was to hot. I just didn't like the spillage factor when it came to the stove.

I have an AO 10. Used the trekker stove above the Arctic Circle for a couple winters on a several trips. It can be temperamental. We had to rig up a stand to get the diesel to flow at the correct rate. If one angle would work one weekend a different angle had to be used the next. Propane was not an option due to the extreme cold. The wood stove was not an option due to the lack of timber. The Trekker kept us warm, sometimes too warm. The soot and the diesel made everything smell and get dirty. If I had to do it again I would use propane and find a way to keep the bottle warm enough to flow.

In his pics, Stid has the tank inside the tent with him.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I had mine out a few weekends ago. I ran the 4000 stove on low for about 24 to 26 hours and used 2.6 gallons of propane. I'm in the process of making a baffle system to set on top of the stove to help slow down the exhaust and I feel it will make it more efficient. Also it was -10 the first night and the snow from our boots on the floor was melting. Great little stove and WAY easier to use. No mess and if you want heat in the morning it only takes 10 mintues for it to cool down to handle so you can put it away. I got the stove, lantern, stove pipe, ect to fit in a action packer. This makes it easier to keep thing from breaking. Playing it safe I would say three days on a 20lbs bottle on low running both burners 14 hours a day.

well, aint worse than everything in your tent smelling like nauseating diesel. Thanks for the advice folks. Think I'll pass on the diesel stove.